Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suspension Advice & Oil Leaks for Blueslip

Ajeff37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
xz43rqC
Hi Everyone,

I've recently moved down to the Snowy Mountains from QLD and need to get my car changed to NSW rego. My car is a 2004 VZ Berlina Sedan (see picture below), has about 160,000kms on it and runs well. I put it in for a Blue Slip today and it didn't pass (was expecting that) due to the following reasons:

-Engine oil leak (has been there for the 6ish years I've had the car, every service the mechanics just say it's minor and typical for the cars age and they'll fix it if it gets worse).
- Gearbox oil leak, possible rear extension housing seal (that's new)
- I need new rear tyres
- LH Front strut top has movement
- Suspension too low

In regards to the engine and gearbox I know it depends where it is as to the cost but I was wondering if anyone had a rough estimate based on their experiences.

Tyres, yer they're on the way out. Any recommendations for tyres that would go well in an area that's got a **** tonne of pot holes, snow and there a few gravel roads I use every other week.

The main thing I need help with is the suspension and strut. The car came lowered when I bought it, haven't done anything with it. I would like to get it raised to pass the Blue Slip as well as gain the ability to drive out of driveways without the car sounding like it's being murdered.

I'm thinking just the stock height/kit would be best for the area. Does anyone have any recommendations for brands/kits that I should look into that would suit the area I'm living in. Also my current springs are quite stiff I think so something that's going to be useful but not change the way the car handles too much as I'm really used to it if possible.

Cheers for any help & advice :)

https://imgur.com/a/xz43rqC
xz43rqC

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Trans leak is about 1hr maybe a tad more. The engine leak NFI as you haven't said where it is coming from. As for tyres ask BJTM what they have in the way of Kumhos they are decent and priced well. Just don't have BJ's do the alignment as they might stuff it.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
i agree with ^losh1971 about the leaks
as for tyres i would try some Hankook Optimo possibly H426 as your car is a berlina and should be running 16 inch wheels as standard
i have run Hankook Optimos on every car i've owned for the last 17 years and never had an issue with them

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I looked at Hankook in 16s but they were a tad expensive, 50 bucks each more than Kumhos but a slightly better tyre so higher price is to be expected.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
I looked at Hankook in 16s but they were a tad expensive, 50 bucks each more than Kumhos but a slightly better tyre so higher price is to be expected.
might be a locality thing because i only paid $115 each fitted and balanced for the Hankooks in the 16 inch and only paid that because i needed them sort of yesterday and only paid $95 each for the last set of 15s i bought and if i remember correctly the Kumhos were about the same price as the Hankooks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That's good price. I paid $115 for Kumhos, Hankooks were $165. What size were yours? I had to get 225/50 R16s. We do get screwed over here on pretty much everything though, due to the 300km water highway.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
mine were the factory size of 215/60R16 i prefer to keep my wheels and tyres stock

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
to pass a blue slip your car has be like it came from the factory i would just get legal 2nd hand tyres just to pass and to save money because the other things are going to cost a lot if you are going to pay a mechanic to fix them

than you are going to need a greenslip when your car has pass the inspection
you can compare prices from different insurance companys
https://www.greenslips.com.au/calculator.html
add rego is about 400 plus you need to buy the plates there about 40

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
mine were the factory size of 215/60R16 i prefer to keep my wheels and tyres stock

Losh's tyre size is a stock factory size.....Unfortunately, the pricing varies between sizes, due to supply and demand

Ajeff37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Thanks for the information on the tyres. I'll look into that in the local area keeping those tyres in mind.

For the engine leak, the mechanic didn't mention it in the report. I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask them if they were able to pinpoint it.

Anything on suspension? That's where I'm most lost.