Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suspension before engine???

classycalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
I’ve got a vn project car, the deal with the wife is it gets done over a few years rather than all at once. I’ll be putting an LS block into it eventually, but wondering if I do the suspension/rims and tyres, will I need to change the front shocks/springs due to the extra weight of the engine when it comes time??

Cheers

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yes you will, unless you go with a stiff suspension setup now

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
No should be fine. Ls1 is all alloy so not too much heavier than the cast iron v6. Different story with a Holden v8.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Ls will be similar weight if not lighter.

Do engine conversion then suspension or it will just be boring 6cyl with suspension...ls more fun with shitty brakes & suspension anyway

David Tahere

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ss commodore
It really depends on u, I'm in ur shoes been mucking around with my VR, 7 years now. I was going to stay with the 304, stroke it or put on a blower. But now the LS ENGINES are cheap and put out good power. Since Holden has faded away my option I was thinking about is the supercharged LS. In OZ maybe 15,000 MTR/TRANS COMBO 20,000 in NZ. Anyway I went to our pick a parts and spent a whole day ripping VZ commodore suspensions apart and putting them on the VR, also at the wreckers JUST TO SEE IF IT WORKS. Pretty much does so I went back on a weekly basis and some good cars with lowered stuff would turn up, i'd get it dirt cheap. Good way to dummy set up car and still have it road worthy. I played special attention to the brakes found out the VZ BRAKES bolt straight on front and rear as I have IRS. I'm running VZ HSV BRAKES -355mm-315mm used same brake rubber hoses front and rear. Used all the brackets,bolts, that came off the HSV, then I had to change my front and rear wheel bearings to VT-VZ, so the rotors fit correctly. Changed booster to VT-VZ sourced a modified booster bracket from a member on forums so I could run the big brake combo. I went for a warrant of fitness and brakes passed I'm also using the VZ handbrake set up bolts straight up using VR cable. Ur car u could just use the front brake set up it works just as good. Yes understand the situation its a lot more than you think good luck.