Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

suspension bushes

Wacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Sedan
I just did the front left bushes and tie rod in my VS (got to do the right ones next weekend - luckily it won't get driven between now and then).

What a biatch is was to get the old bushes out of the lower control arm....spent hours bashing the **** out of the rubber...it was like it was superglued in!

Was my car just farked, or do other people just not admit to having issues with getting the old bushes out?

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
Wacky said:
I just did the front left bushes and tie rod in my VS (got to do the right ones next weekend - luckily it won't get driven between now and then).

What a biatch is was to get the old bushes out of the lower control arm....spent hours bashing the **** out of the rubber...it was like it was superglued in!

Was my car just farked, or do other people just not admit to having issues with getting the old bushes out?

Mate, bushes need to be pressed in and pressed out (except Panhard, and sway bars) they're designed to have a tight fit, and are generally kinda of difficult to get out if you only have a hammer! I sugest getting a G clamp and rigging that up if you want to get them out easier.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
get a bit of pipe slightly larger the the OD of the bush, a couple of washer slightly smaller than the OD of the bush and some washers bigger than the OD of the pipe and a bit of threaded rod that fits throught the bush then simply rig it up by putting the threaded rod through the excisting bush and the pipe, put the smaller washers behind the old bush thats coming out, the bigger washers on the other side of the pipe put a nut on each end of the threaded rod and then do up the nut on the pipe side and it should pull the bush out of the housing into the pipe. you may find that you'll wind it in quiet a bit and nothing 'll happen and then all of a sudden it'll give and then i'll go easy otherwise wind it up and then give the housing a few taps with a hammer like device and it may dislodge it also or it'll fight you all the way out. putting the new bush in is the reversal of the above mentioned procedure.

edit:OD = outer diameter