Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suspension Life Expectancy

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
Hi Guys,

I've been going through the complete service history of my car, and noticed that none of the shock absorbers or springs have ever been replaced in the 13 years its has been on the road, i had a roadworthy done only a few months ago and nothing was said about the suspension having any sort of issues. i am just a bit worried about the fact that its getting a bit on in life with a decent amount of k's under it (220k) and was wondering whether i should wait for something to let go and then do something about it, or look at investing in something now.

i do not want to go any lower than the fe2 height which it is at due to the fact that i follow my mates with WRX's and Evo's when we go out for a weekend, which normally consists of gravel driving. A guy my dad grew up with is the managing director at Top Performance in Vermont (Koni Australia Development and Distribution Office) so i will be look at a Koni/King Springs Combo. But do not want to sacrifice any height in the process.

Also i was wondering about doing the install myself and how hard that will be.

I know people have asked these questions before, and before anyone has a go at me i did use the search function, but i was unable to find the answers i was looking for.

Thanks
Matt

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Not hard at all to change shocks and struts on a VT, a bit of time but hardly mentally taxing. Stick with stock height IMO, basing on some off-road gravel driving. I put King Lows in my car which is supposed to be FE2 equivalent but its still heaps lower.