Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Other] Suspension or springs???

seitzxvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo
I put my car into a roadworthy today and it got knocked back because the car has been lowered and he said the springs are lowered but the shockers are standard and that he could move the springs while under load, he said to fix it i need to put lowered shockers in the rear, I always thought if you had lower springs the standard shockers would adjust to the height of the springs??? would I be better off changing the shockers or the springs???

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's under droop that the springs can fall out. Also the shockers can top out and cause them to bust. You need shorter shocks or longer springs, up to you how you proceed.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I always thought if you had lower springs the standard shockers would adjust to the height of the springs???
They do adjust, but the springs you have are shorter than the shock absorbers you have, that's what he means. If what he says is true (being able to move the springs around under load), it means the whole weight of the car is on the rear shocks which are bottoming out - these are pretty flimsy on these Commos, they're not load bearing either - and no weight is on the springs at all if he can move them around.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
You need shorter shocks or longer springs, up to you how you proceed.
This is the answer.

When the suspension is at full extension (ie body up on a jack) the spring must hold itself firmly in place.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Shocks have an optimal range of dampening. You want it to be within this range when in operation. And you also don't want your springs to pop out while in Dukes of Hazzard mode

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Basically saying on hoist with full suspension travel the springs can fall out so you need to fit shorter travel shocks to fix it or revert back to stock springs if keep longer shocks.

He is 110% correct even if chance of it happening is same as marrying a billionaire's daughter...

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Shocks do not adjust themselves to account for anybody's preferred spring mods. Given you more have shorter springs the ride with the old socks must be terrible because they are too soft to perform properly with the stiffer shorter springs. So they won't dampen the bumps properly and need replacing.

Reactions: Lex

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
I put my car into a roadworthy today and it got knocked back because the car has been lowered and he said the springs are lowered but the shockers are standard and that he could move the springs while under load, he said to fix it i need to put lowered shockers in the rear, I always thought if you had lower springs the standard shockers would adjust to the height of the springs??? would I be better off changing the shockers or the springs???
haha theres plenty of gen 1 commodores that springs fall out when on hoist.

Yes standard shocks adjust to lower springs size but then they fubar and useless in rebound.
Sounds like you have the sssssssslow springs fitted and yes you need shortened shocks.
Standard shocks can be used on springs but only on 30 to 40/50mm lower springs equivilant to factory fefitted ones.

Also you can get extra high rubber 10mm pads under springs to stop spring turning/falling out to pass rwc providing you dont have the really low springs fitted.