Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

suspension replacement VU SS

Pete SS

Resident Pomme
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS M6
Hi guys, I need to replace the suspension on my ute as the person before me changed the standard springs for ultra lows but left the standard shocks and now they're leaking.

Does anyone have any hints or tips before I start?

Cheers, Pete.

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
You will be best with some shortened shocks, Ultima or Monroe do them.

You may need spring compressors when replacing the front shocks. The rears should just about fall out with the shocks out and the body lifted. Might be a good idea to replace the front strut top bushes as they commonly fail, especially with lowered springs.

Other than that...it's pretty straight forward. Good luck!

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
^^^ You will definately need spring compressors to do the front... I have never been able to change from springs without them...

When I had sssl rears I got some pedders big bore shortened shocks. Pricey @ 300 bucks for the pair but well worth it.

Good luck mate.

P.S.

Remember to take the handbrake off when doing the rear... I've had a good laugh at mates on several occasions trying to change rear springs with the handbreak on... probably not so much of an issue with the shocks.

Once I managed to change a rear shock on the side of the road with no jack so they are nice and easy really.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Will definitely need shortened shocks. I'd be going KYB in the front, and a big bore 60mm Oztec in the rear (KYB don't do rear shortened shocks for ute).

Front KYB's are $138 each, and $120 each for the rears.

Pete SS

Resident Pomme
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS M6
Cheers for the replys.

I've seen the shortened monroe shocks with the super low springs on ebay so I think I'll get them. How much lower than standard SS height are the superlows?

In the Haynes manual it says to remove the CV joint from the outer hub so the control arm can be lowered enough to remove the spring - is this nessesary? Surely I could use the spring compressors to help here?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
SL it about an inch lower than fe2 i think... fe2 being standard SS height.

Are wel talking about the back there? with the CV joint?

If so... spring compressors will do the job... I've swapped rear springs on anything from a VT Clubby to a VY maloo and never needed and more that to raise it, releease the handbrake and use spring compresors to get the fe2 springs out.