Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suspension. Ve

Dan Ehrlich

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Ve SSV Commodore
Is there a size in between fe2 and stock standard suspension for a ve? I've got fe2 on there ATM but finding it really hard to get over speed bumps so I wanna raise it about an inch but I've been told that the only choice I have is stock standard which will bring it up 2 inches and I don't wanna bring it up that much.

bkvyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss sportwagon
Wtf ? You have speed bumb issues with fe2 susp. ? Fe2 is only 1 step down for ve im pretty sure mate. I hardly need to slow down for bumbs with fe2. Just line em up right. Ssl springs getting delivered next few days so will see how i go then.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Standard 2 inches higher than FE2? I always thought FE2 was only about 10mm lower than standard. If your having trouble on speed bumps with FE2 I reckon your best bet is to go standard height.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
That's interesting, anyone know the standard ride height for a VE? Measured as Height to guard from hub centre.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Forgot suspension, how big are these speed bumps????

Your car must have 100mm ground clearence at all times by law. All factory suspensions are design so when carrying the max load the car STILL has that 100mm ground clearence. For this reason 99% of speed bumps are 100m tall or less (usually less!) if place by the government

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Keep in mind that FE2 (or any other stock suspension for that matter) does not guarantee the same ground clearance for each and every VE out there.
(So yes, it is possible for a VE fitted with FE2 to constantly scrape over dubious sized speed bumps, as mine did JUST this).

1) Tyre and Rim sizes will make a big difference to ground clearance. (For me changing from the stock 18s to 20s meant that I no longer scraped at the local shopping center humps, and my works driveway).
2) The stock springs are subject to sagging (or settling as some suspension places call it). This is what I believed my springs have gone through after several years of use. With 18s, my Calais sat noticeably lower than stock SS and SSV models.
3) Different models are loaded differently. (Eg Fuel load, trim and equipment levels), Eg CalaisV V8 is going to be heavier than an Omega, so same suspension and wheels means the CalaisV will sit lower than the omega.

In terms of stock suspension setups, there are (For Holden models, I dunno about HSV)
Country (Raised)
FE1 (Stock Omega, Berlina)
FE1.5 (Late Series I, Series II Calais and CalaisV - Considered Touring Suspension)
FE2 (Sports Suspension fitted to SS, SSV, and very early Calais / CaliasV models)
FE3 (Super Sports fitted to redline editions)

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
1) Tyre and Rim sizes will make a big difference to ground clearance. (For me changing from the stock 18s to 20s meant that I no longer scraped at the local shopping center humps, and my works driveway).

this is a myth, the maths doesn't surport it at all.

245/35R20 = 679mm overall diameter
245/45R18 = 678mm overall diameter

So buy swapping from 18s to 20s by 0.5mm