Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suspension

MRVX6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX berlina ecotec/ vy ss ute
hi,

Im looking at replacing my front struts on me series 1 vx berlina. I have couple of questions before i do so. firstly can i buy inserts to replace the standard ones in the car or do i have to buy a whole new strut housing aswel. seccondly when i try undo the top bolt the whole strut spins so makes it impossible to undo the nut, any help would be lovely.

thanks

])R@G()N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Yes thay are one peace,
On top of your strut you should be able to put a shifter on it and a 24mm spanner on the Nut to undo it.

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
You will need a Rattle gun to get the top nut off... it needs constant 'jolting' to loosen and undo
use the high impact socket also. the 6 sided kind, not 12 sided
and of course the Hobby air compressor may not be enough psi, try a workshop/tyre fitter. they should do it in 2 minutes

lein

Comrade Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC 202/4sp
Or a 10mm socket/spanner on the strut and a 24mm spanner on the nut and just undo it. Be sure to be supporting the bottom of it if you've undone everything else or it might land on your foot.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive seen heaps of people who try to undo this nut on top of the strut,strip the small bolt that is used to stop the whole strut from turning.It happens because you are meant to unload the top mount first by using spring compressors to take the load of the spring before attempting to undo the large nut.Its best to follow a workshop manual when doing these kinds of jobs,that way you know its done properly and safely,and it saves stuffing things up or stripping bolts etc.The strut should be removed from the car first and spring compressors fitted before attempting to undo any part of it.People have been killed before from springs flying out when theyve tried to remove them without proper tools.Its just not worth it.Its the same as getting under the car when its only supported by a jack.Its just a dumb thing to do.

Last edited: