Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SUV set to replace Commodore

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
^ this guy is correct..
Commodore held the top car spot in the combined category (which includes fleet purchasing) for a while though.. I don't know whether the ordering was any different when fleet was excluded from the tally.

phat_6ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS M6
Pretty f*cked really.. It will be one of those things you tell your grandchildren about, the days when we had 6-7 litre 500hp family cars rolling off the production line in abundance and when it's said like that its no wonder Holden will eventually scrap them. How long did we really think it'd last? It was the right car for the right time.. As stated in previous posts tho it will be a very sad day :(

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
A cruze based SUV ? yeah right, now that's gonna challenge the land cruiser through the Kimberleys.... NOT, but i'm sure it will be great for the the family with teenagers to drive the great ocean road... NOT, so what's the point ? Maybe so the girl down the raod can drive to work and look 'sporty' ?
Anyway, if that happens i'll either be driving the last proper commodore wagon that rolls off the line ( ie a VZ LOL) and or a Prado !!

pablo_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
People want SUVs for family cars, or smaller cars for one or two passengers these days.
Most enthusiasts like the RWD 6cyl or V8 cars, and if they are loaded or snobby, they buy a BMW or merc.
If they aren't, they want a SUV or a FWD 4cyl.
Even taxis are camrys or Priuses these days. Ford would flog the mondeo (they'd be idiots to bring in some yank FWD falcon replacement, please don't bother ford), gmh will have to bring in some USA or daewoo POS.

Both gmh and ford try to cater to the premium side of things , like g6e, fpv and hsv to make decent sales (ie non fleet vehicles sold cheap), there is a market out there for powerful RWD sports sedans; but those buyers want BMW or mercedes or even lexus, even if it costs 2-3+ times as much, so they can't support the aussie RWD family sedan for ever. Not enough people value them as much as what they are worth...

Shame really because when the commodore and falcon go (only a matter of when as the premium products can't support the cheap fleet cars as hardly anyone values the premium cars as good as the euros even when they are half the cost), that means the great aussie ute goes too.

It used to be that every family had a gmh kingswood/commodore or ford falcon, every tradey had a holden or ford ute or panel van, but those days are long gone. It's been SUVs ,japanese vans, hiluxs and other 4x4s and small 4cyl asian/euro FWD cars for a while.

We can't make people buy HSVs and g6Ets or aussie utes enough to make the whole thing viable.

Just be in line with me to buy the last of them and have a blast and be happy they are still making them now!

Last edited:

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Simple business sense. You aim your resources at the most viable market. No use selling ice in Greenland, no-one wants to buy it. No use selling chocolate coated deep fried cockroaches in Australia, no-one wants to eat them. No use being a major car manufacturer building cars that unfortunately are no longer the vehicle of choice for the average Australian family.

The only thing keeping Falcons and Commodores afloat at the moment is the fleet market. With so many better options already available for those markets, fleet sales are unlikely to hold up well with these rather outdated cars.

You can disagree as much as you like, but GMH will look at sales figures, not sentiment. The needs/desires of the Australian market have changed, and GMH needs to change with it to survive.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Agree with Dakster. Family sedan type vehicles lack the flexibility provided by SUV's. A five seat, four door sedan with a largish boot can't compete with a roomier, often shorter, higher SUV. The sedans don't offer diesel options, they are powered by large engines, also something a lot of people don't want anymore. SUV's are easier to fit small kids into car seats than sedans (I know this from personal experience - fitting the infant grand-daughter into her seat in the Berlina was a pain in the neck. It's easy in the Captiva.)

Put simply, Holden and Ford are still building yesterday's cars. They both need a model line-up that matches the expectations of the market and at present, they don't have it.