Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SV6 07 AUTO] Slight jolt upon gear change

Wheatley098

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SSV Ute
Just noticed upon gear change and increase of acceleration that there is a slight jolt in the car it is very tiny and happens quire rarely but What would I tell my local mechanic to look for?

Would I say transmission, Engine?

Thanks for you reply s, Cheers JC

VTSS304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Manual
Tell your mechanic to search for a jolt in the driveline because it could be anything from an engine mount, torque converter, gearbox, rubber donut on tailshaft, diff, CV's anything really

Wheatley098

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SSV Ute
Tell your mechanic to search for a jolt in the driveline because it could be anything from an engine mount, torque converter, gearbox, rubber donut on tailshaft, diff, CV's anything really

Ohk I will do that tomorrow, Sometimes while driving the car dosnt seem to make up its mind as to what gear it wants to drive in, Only on inclines

Ron91

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Wagon
Do you drive it harder?

I think from memory the 5 speeds had a oil depletion or something sometimes when driving harder which made it either hold a gear or jolted gears.

If someone could correct me or fill in the blanks that'd help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Wheatley098

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SSV Ute
Do you drive it harder?

I think from memory the 5 speeds had a oil depletion or something sometimes when driving harder which made it either hold a gear or jolted gears.

If someone could correct me or fill in the blanks that'd help.

Not at all as weird as it may sound I'm very gentle with my vehicles and like to treat them to the best of my abilities

VTSS304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Manual
Ohk I will do that tomorrow, Sometimes while driving the car dosnt seem to make up its mind as to what gear it wants to drive in, Only on inclines

Gearbox could be low on oil. When on an incline the oil could be moving into a better place for the oil pickup. Tell your mechanic this and i would advise you insist on taking a technician for a drive so you can demonstrate the issue.

Wheatley098

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SSV Ute
Gearbox could be low on oil. When on an incline the oil could be moving into a better place for the oil pickup. Tell your mechanic this and i would advise you insist on taking a technician for a drive so you can demonstrate the issue.

Got a full engine and trans service tomorrow,
Since the trans oil in them is expensive. I could get my mechanic to do a service and check over on the car and trans with penrite oil and ryco filters

I'll let you know how it goes :D