Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 2006 VE a good first car?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I wouldn't touch an early V6 VE. Not till late 2007. Timing chain issues. Pass. Could pick up a pretty sweet VZ SV6 in your budget and still have money left over. Personally not a fan of Alloytecs at all given their sensitivity to late services (sludge is very common issue)

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
make sure you can afford to insure it(call a few insurance places to see if they even will insure you) coz you're gonna crash it!!

you got a decent job? can you afford to keep it maintained? if not, itll only be reliable for so long.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Yeah I don't know much about cars yet. What's alloytecs and sludge? Also would I just be able to replace the timing chain with a newer model one? Or would this cost a fair bit? Thanks (I could probably get a 2007 or 2008 one as they are around the same price)

whats alloytecs? have you actually done any research on the car you want? alloytec is the engine thats in it!!

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
If the Alloytec servicing isn't bang on you will end up with sludge and usually a busted motor. If your only earning that much a week your probably better off in a Corolla or Lancer.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I see a 2001 Hyundai Xcel in your future.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Are you able to do clean the engine or whatever regularly to prevent sludge yourself? Also how much is it to maintain the car? That's also why I'm at school, when I get the car I'll only have it for around 4 months before I'll start working about double the amount after that.

It's a big job. You won't be able to afford it. Seriously though for a first car there's nothing better then what I suggested. Yeah your mates might give you **** but you can laugh louder when they have no spare coin because of fuel etc.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
After my last thread was locked.... I've had to make a new one

I'm thinking of getting an SV6 VE 2006 for my first car, I've almost saved up the right amount, around 8 - 10k for one with 150,000 - 180,000 kms. I'd plan on keeping it for a fair few years. I'd want a car to be reliable, not small, but not as big a wagon, has alright power and is fun to drive and will look alright. So far a blue sv6 ve with all black wheels seems to be the best choice with all the options. Thoughts?

any reason you want the sv6 variant?
you could probably get a 2010 omega for 10k with the sidi engine.
or are you just looking for the highest kw you can find in a v6.

if you are just going to do burnouts and thrash it, buy the cheapest one you can find as you will kill it within 6months thrashing it.
a lot of people do it in their first car, the trick is not wasting a pile of money in the process.

and with the chev badges if that's your thing go right ahead and put them on, there will always be people that hate them on commodores and others that like the look don't worry about what other people think.
hell most ford drivers are going to think you are a wanker just driving a holden, each to their own.