Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 2006 VE a good first car?

dabons

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1
Read both threads and well a P plater that is only interested in how fast his car can go will only cause you troubles as you have seen by various posts in both threads.

You need to find a car that you can afford and afford to fix because no matter what car you get you will have to maintain and repair it. Then you have rego, petrol, tyres, brakes and a late model car is not cheap to fix/maintain or run if you do not have much money. Then you have to consider insurance as well, insurance is a must. From the sound and intentions in your posts you will crash your car and I hope you do not blow your money by not having it insured.

My son is due to get his Ps and prefers to drive my old VT that I gave him when he got his Ls than my VE Omega. Maybe I taught him right and he is not interested in speed or what his "friends" opinions are regarding the car he drives.

As to putting chev badges on it that is your choice. If you do not like the Holden badges then what I suggest is just get rid of them. I did. Although my wife wants them back on I think it looks a whole lot better without badges and definately better than putting chev badges on a car they did not originally come out with.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
whats alloytecs? have you actually done any research on the car you want? alloytec is the engine thats in it!!

he is clearly trolling, or just very naive , if the latter , as I mentioned in your first thread , buy a Corolla , and learn to drive safely .

Last edited:

All5litres

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE Omega
If you buy a 2006 model make sure you have a spare couple of grand to do the timing chains, most 2006 models have upwards of 140k on the clock by now and are due to **** their chains....unless it's been done already and they have the receipts. Also make sure the service history is perfect...if there's gaps then walk away and find another car....the alloytec is prone to sludging.

Last edited:

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Insurance was like 1200 under parents name. I earn around $200 - $260 a week and don't really spend it on anything, as well as I wouldn't drive that much so I wouldn't spend to much on fuel.

If your earning a regular base of $200 a week you'd want to invest a max of 1/4 of your pay into a car. So for $50 a week over 5 years you have 10k to spend. A full tank of fuel is $70-80 and insurance will be $100 a month. Each service is $200-400 depending on what's done. For example; Brake rotors n pads cost more and must be done when low at the serviced there picked up on, you can't put them off until you have the money.

I'd be willing to clean it myself, as long as it doesn't cost to much.

Your going to strip the engine down and clean the oil residue 'sludge' off the cylinder heads, inside the engine block etc.

Listen to the advise your being given, owning a car isn't cheap and you need to listen to other with experience. The best first cars are 5k or less. 10k or less IF your parents are willing to help cover the costs.

Last edited:

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
I thought VZ V6s are Alloytec as well? Same issue?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I thought VZ V6s are Alloytec as well? Same issue?

VZ's had a thicker timing chain and IIRC their service was 10,000km not the VE 15,000 (a dodgy way to make the service life look less on paper).

Still have the same issue of sludging up. Theyre just **** engines.

I was looking at just then an acclaim vy 2002 station wagon? They are cheaper.

I'd want to get a 4 or 5" muffler. I was told it would have a droning noise and be anoying so get a cat back system to elminate that. But you can do power mods to a p plate car. What would be the chances of being pulled over and cheked. I'm not wanting the exhaust for Powe just so the muffler sounds alright snd doesnt drone as bad.

4 or 5" Muffler?

website%20GT%202.5%20muffler%20II.jpg

10/10 Top troll.

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
But you can do power mods to a p plate car.
No, any "power"/engine mods for P platers are illegal.

I am also a P plater soon, and I have avoided VZ and VE due to the Alloytec engines (and I can't afford a VE). The Ecotec is a much better engine hence I would suggest a VY.