Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sv6 2016 sun damage dashboard how can i fix???

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Oh, I had one of those too. But it was by Dolce and Cabanna (Made in China). Snazz-o. Put it on at the top of multi-story carpark last November. Came back and it was gone — an upsetting "A dingo took baby!" moment. I now have an el cheapo marked SCA (SuperCheap).

?????

I use one that's inside the car.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
?????

I use one that's inside the car.

That one was, like the present one, secured on the outside, under the wipers, and wings held in place by doors. I find these easier to whip off than struggle with the internal ones.

Harry24

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6
That panel only clips in place so could easily get 1 from a wrecker. To remove just grab the front edge and lift up starting on the corner. There is 3 clips across the front and 2 at the back with a hook locator also
Thanks very much mate ...

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
This is the pricey FitMyCar dashmat (charcoal), the only fault being that it obstructed the light sensitivity dome.

It was also very difficult to stick it into place, worst using the supplied flimsy Velcro. Then tried double-sided tape. That also failed. I think in wizened hindsight, had I left it in place a couple of thousand km, the warmth from the sun (in Alice Springs at the time) may have helped. The lights coming on when they shouldn't bugged me to the point where I couldn't put up with it, nice as it looked. :(

Though expensive, the FMC mats have a more precise fit along edges and the HUD than the SuperCheap, which wasn't cut very well around the HUD or demister vents at all.

View attachment 213503

I have a similar dash mat, I ended up using a bunch of Velcro dots from Officeworks to secure the mat down. Was tricky at 1st but after a few drives in the sun it seem to have settled in place.

45k km with it in place so far...

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I have a similar dash mat, I ended up using a bunch of Velcro dots from Officeworks to secure the mat down. Was tricky at 1st but after a few drives in the sun it seem to have settled in place.
45k km with it in place so far...

All dashmats will settle pretty well after normal driving exposure to sun and warmth, and this certainly helps the adhesive get a grip too.

I observed the Velcro dots raise the dash mat above its natural 'footing' e.g. creating obvious bumps, which was a bit too obvious when I cobbled them together. I then experimented with bostik blobs, then tiny rubber-based, acid-free photo mounting dots (photo) and finally UltraBond acid-free interior D/S tape (viciously sticky); you can't just use any High Street el-cheapo double-sided tape; it's got to be able to grab both the dash panel and the odd material on the back of the dashmat. I think UltraBond (US) is an industrial supplier of adhesives, caulkings, sealants, putties etc.

Had another look at the FitMyCar mats tonight. I am going to order another one with a view to going through the process again. I'll see if the aperture for the ambient light sensor can be made a little wider (mats are made-to-order, not ex-stock). Despite early niggles and nagging indecision, I do believe a mat is a good investment, and it certainly cuts down the horrid glare from the dash in bright sun. OMMV. ;)

Attachments

• adhesive photo dots.jpg
    adhesive photo dots.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 103

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Well I had some credit to use up at Supercheap Auto and with nothing else sticking out to me I decided to give their dash mat a go.

I have a particular dislike for sticking anything to the dash or anywhere in the car so I figured that I would need to find a way to tie the dashmat down instead. Luckily the fit was very good - went over the curves of the dash very well and the cuts were quite clean around the HUD etc. Where the dashmat failed badly was around the demister vents, where a generic square cutout was made and didn’t follow the dome sensor nor vents at all:

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca-sca-dashmat---suits-holden-commodore-vf-black/560816.html

So I decided to trim the square cutouts further so that they would not obstruct the sensor and demisters. Trimming some of them to a fine line where they would line up with the demister vents. Where they would not line up to a vent, I would cut it off entirely. Result was an uneven number of strips on either side of the dome but no one is going to look there...

To secure, I used thin black string to tie it to the vents. Essentially looks invisible and the fit of the dashmat on the dash means it doesn’t move and sits really well with the string holding them in place.

[URL="https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/media/dash-mat.780/"] [/URL]