Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sv6 2016 sun damage dashboard how can i fix???

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... The VF windscreen has a UV film (SolarGuard) to provide some protection from prolonged sun exposure.
Is this a factory inter-laminate UV layer or an after market film applied to the inside of the windscreen? I ask as I thought any films applied to the front windscreen, other than a band across the top, were illegal... even if not tinted... If it’s after market, how does it impact HUD?

... The VF has lots of curves, slopes and overlaps on the dash, so cheap dashmats are a challenge to design and manufacture with precision fit...
fixed that for you :p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Is this a factory inter-laminate UV layer or an after market film applied to the inside of the windscreen? I ask as I thought any films applied to the front windscreen, other than a band across the top, were illegal... even if not tinted... If it’s after market, how does it impact HUD?

Within/a characteristic of the glass, probably to protect the HUD from UV radiation (and my sensitive paws!). Not tinted.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I looked at the DM1321 VF dash mat and it didn't look like it has provision for the sun load sensor. Note you need to select the colour to see a picture of the dash mat.

So is the picture correct or does the mat actually have a hole for the sun load sensor?

Provision for/accuracy of the fit for the sunload sensor is a major problem that I have experienced. Especially mail order dashmats; I strongly prefer to try-before-I-buy, or at least fondle with my paws and then decide. I think, but cannot be certain, that if the dashmat as a row of square cut outs, one of them will easily clear the sensor. Those that have a circular opening cause problems.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
fixed that for you

Well...the most expensive dashmat from FitMyCar was the worst in terms of overall fit ($70, as opposed to SuperCheap's $55). Drrrrft. They both went. I can live with a nude dash.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Within/a characteristic of the glass, probably to protect the HUD from UV radiation (and my sensitive paws!). Not tinted.
Wish they also applied some metallic heat reflecting additive to all the glass as the inside of the commodore is like a furnace after being in the sun (as you mentioned).

It seemed to be done on some cars many years ago but such ‘magic’ also impacted and inhibited toll road devices and mobile phones inside the vehicle... Guess I must be in the minority as I didn't care for loss of either device function, preferring a cooler car instead...

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I looked at the DM1321 VF dash mat and it didn't look like it has provision for the sun load sensor. Note you need to select the colour to see a picture of the dash mat.

So is the picture correct or does the mat actually have a hole for the sun load sensor?

it will have a perforated cut out that you can pop out for the ambient light sensor.

with any brand dash mat if the hole around the sensor is not right just use a utility/stanley knife and cut a 25mm square around where the sensor is and that will fix any issues with it.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I always use a reflective sun shield thingy when parked, never had issues with my dashes. can't stand those mat things.

oh and never put armor all on your dash, it wrecks it.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I always use a reflective sun shield thingy when parked, never had issues with my dashes. can't stand those mat things.

oh and never put armor all on your dash, it wrecks it.

Oh, I had one of those too. But it was by Dolce and Cabanna (Made in China). Snazz-o. Put it on at the top of multi-story carpark last November. Came back and it was gone — an upsetting "A dingo took baby!" moment. I now have an el cheapo marked SCA (SuperCheap).

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
This is the pricey FitMyCar dashmat (charcoal), the only fault being that it obstructed the light sensitivity dome.

It was also very difficult to stick it into place, worst using the supplied flimsy Velcro. Then tried double-sided tape. That also failed. I think in wizened hindsight, had I left it in place a couple of thousand km, the warmth from the sun (in Alice Springs at the time) may have helped. The lights coming on when they shouldn't bugged me to the point where I couldn't put up with it, nice as it looked. :(

Though expensive, the FMC mats have a more precise fit along edges and the HUD than the SuperCheap, which wasn't cut very well around the HUD or demister vents at all.

FitMyCar_charcoal_VFSV6_dashmat.jpg