Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 6 speed - giving real trouble now, anyone else??? :(

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
I started having problems shifting from 1st into 2nd a while back (probably from about 10,000Ks - now have almost 30K) but only if I was giving it a bit of a serve in first, it would either not engage properly at all, or crunch like a bitch. With sedate driving it was OK though.

It's been getting progressively worse since about the 20,000 mark though, and now even gives me trouble when downshifting from 3rd, even when I'm driving like my Grandma. It "feels" different when shifting into second now as well, doesn't feel like it's really engaging properly - well, not like the other slots anyhow.

I recall seeing a thread on this before, but can't seem to find it. Have any other M6 SV6 drivers had similar issues?? If I can go the the dealer with some kind of "backup" it makes my case a little easier to present when it comes to jumping up and down and demanding that it be fixed.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

V

VX_KN079

Phreddy said:
If I can go the the dealer with some kind of "backup" it makes my case a little easier to present when it comes to jumping up and down and demanding that it be fixed.

Not really sure what you mean by that but if it's not doing what it should, then they'll fix it. I know the clutches in the new box aren't that great... My advice would be take it too a dealer and go with them when they want to drive it - actually show them, talk to them. When my hand brake bracket was rubbing on my VX I took it in and told them and they initially said "can't hear the running noise you're talking about - see you late". I pointed to the guy and said "come with me", made him drive and pointed it out to him.

Tell them you want the problem REPLACED, not FIXED too... Or it's likely it will just develop again...

They fixed it.

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
Phreddy I have the M6 SV6 and i am yet to experience any problems like that. Im only at 15k, but the box 'still' shifts effortlessly from 1st to 2nd and downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. Doesnt sound like its a good thing at all, and like VX_KN079 has said, pretty much they need to replace it. Hopefully Holden dont give you the run around and fix what they need to.

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
yeah i've had similar problems, i posted about it before, that might be what your thinking of ....

high rpm 1 to 2 shifts are where i have the same problem, either it doesn't go in or it grinds ..... i reckon the syncro is the issue ... having said that, i had it way back when i first got the car and it now has 46,000km's on it and it hasn't gotten worse .....

i also haven't noticed 3 to 2 .... i'll try and remember to test it when in the car next, but definately 2nd is harder to get into.

V

VX_KN079

Sammy said:
yeah i've had similar problems

Um... So get it fixed mate! It's under warranty and Holden are obliged to fix it. It's not a question of will they or won't they, but a question of WHEN they can fit you in.

Replacement is ALWAYS what you should go for but at the very least it has to be fixed.

benzor

yawn :(
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6!
I've got the same problem.

Second feels differet, and grinds under load.

Holden don't want to have a chat...aftermarket clutch :(

V

VX_KN079

benzor said:
I've got the same problem.

Second feels differet, and grinds under load.

Holden don't want to have a chat...aftermarket clutch :(

But aren't you testing a prototype after market setup that's meant to be a whole lot better than the original anyway?

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Bummer benzor.

(yes, saw your thread on the clutch - looks like a vast improvement over factory actually!!)

VX_KN079 - right on!! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Oh, thanks to all for the feedback too!

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
VX_KN079 said:
Um... So get it fixed mate! It's under warranty and Holden are obliged to fix it. It's not a question of will they or won't they, but a question of WHEN they can fit you in.

Replacement is ALWAYS what you should go for but at the very least it has to be fixed.

only problem is i can't replicate it, only does it when it feels like it ....

benzor

yawn :(
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6!
VX_KN079 said:
But aren't you testing a prototype after market setup that's meant to be a whole lot better than the original anyway?

Yes, I am. But that doesn't change the fac that holden won't look at the gearbox due to the clutch?