Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 and Airhammer CAI on Victorian Red P Plates?

-SpydeR-

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Hey guys,

I've been looking at getting an Airhammer CAI with heatshield for my 2007 SV6. Only problem is, in Victoria, Red P platers cannot have any performance mods, although I do have SS mufflers and they consider that a performance mod.

So I was wondering, who is on their Ps in Victoria that has installed a CAI? Do the boys in blue care about CAIs when they pull you over to inspect your car, or is it only something highway patrol cops will know about? Maybe with the heatshield installed, it won't be as obvious that its an aftermarket addition to the car.

Cheers.

WHITESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
You should be pretty right man....cop dont useally pull over Ve's too new and expensive for most p platers lol and as long as it looks stock on the outside you'll be right.....i only ever got pulled over once when i was on my p's and they just asked is the car mine (thinking it was my folks car) and i said yeah and that was it youd have to be very unlucky for them to want to pop the bonnet.......but if they do youll be screwed as the current cop cars in vic are mostly ve's 6's and 8's so they know what the engines look like stock

-SpydeR-

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Was the car registered in your name?

And what's the penalty if you get caught? A fine and points? Do you know how much?

Cheers.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
i think the fine and points is a fair bit. because if its modified it is now a probationary prohibited vehicle, which means its a similar amount of fine/points that if you were driving an 8.

would depend on the discretion of the officer though.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
As a wise man once (or twice) said...

Any (ANY) modification(s), unless approved to ADR standards, that change/alter/modify any aspect of your vehicle from the ADR standards/requirements that existed at the time of manufacture of your vehicle are ILLEGAL.

tee hee.

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
in relation to the modification laws, i've got a OTR CAI on my VT V6 and if a copper pulls me over im going to say that its for fuel economy and not power, my fuel economy got better and thats why it is on there, the power i gained was minimal and to be honest with you its still got less power than when it came out of the factory so its not really making much difference!! most coppers should let you off, ive been pulled over and had my car looked at with the intake on and the guy just ignored it!

-SpydeR-

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
in relation to the modification laws, i've got a OTR CAI on my VT V6 and if a copper pulls me over im going to say that its for fuel economy and not power, my fuel economy got better and thats why it is on there, the power i gained was minimal and to be honest with you its still got less power than when it came out of the factory so its not really making much difference!! most coppers should let you off, ive been pulled over and had my car looked at with the intake on and the guy just ignored it!

Well in my case, I only want the CAI for the fuel economy, okay okay and maybe the induction noise :p But seriously with my car drinking 14L/100km, I seriously need to lower that consumption.

Also the fact that most coppers these days drive VE SV6s around doesn't help my case. As someone previously said, they could simply compare their stock engine bay to my one and pick out the difference, whilst in a older model Commodore they don't really have anything to reference off.

But if I only cop a fine of $200 or so dollars without losing any points, I guess the money I save using less fuel would quickly pay that off on the off chance I get caught.

Also I think I read somewhere that when coppers pop the bonnet to check out the engine, the main things they are looking for are turbos and pod filters?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
As far as the cops are concerned, the airhammer system IS a pod filter. So I wouldn't be backing myself on that one.

Why don't you try keeping the stock airbox and replacing the horrible, turbulence-inducing pipe-work from the box to the motor - you'll notice a difference in economy just from that (and it's cheaper) - will also sound a bit tougher as you'd be removing the 'sound-proofing' that holden is so proud of. Just fit a higher-flowing filter (non-oiled for vic roads - ie Lukey filters) with the new piping and see what you think.

WHITESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
Was the car registered in your name?

And what's the penalty if you get caught? A fine and points? Do you know how much?

Cheers.

Yes the car was registered in my name i think they were shocked.....not sure on the penalty but as long as you dont stand out to the cops by doing something stupid and if it dosnt dosnt sound rediculisly loud from the exhast i think ll be fine man they have more fun with all the vn to vt commodores out there to pick on lol :)

-SpydeR-

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
As far as the cops are concerned, the airhammer system IS a pod filter. So I wouldn't be backing myself on that one.

Yea that's what I was getting at. If they mainly look out for turbos and pod filters when they pop the bonnet, then I've just installed one of the most common things they look for. Although if I have the optional heatshield installed as well, then it might not be as obvious that a pod filter is sitting just there out of sight.