Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Alternative Brake Rotors

dossy37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
So it seems the previous owners of my 2017 SV6 sedan liked to go hard on the brakes and consequently at 75,000klms I find myself having to replace the rotors due to uneven wear / gouging etc.

Now I figure if I am going to go to the expense of replacing all four rotors, am I better off with an aftermarket premium brake set up? There are plans to modify the car once out of manufacturers warranty for additional power etc, But probably not to the radical extreme where I would need a ceramic package or anything like that.

Just curious to see what others have replaced factory rotors and pads with on SV6 models.

Cheers
Brett

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Cheapest I would entertain is DBA street series. I had these on my SS and they were great - next to no runout and tolerated heat pretty well with no warping. Although the brakes weren’t as good ss the engine... So unless you’re going to be giving it an absolute hiding this is what I’d buy.

T2 is street series with slots, not a big fan of slots personally

T3 is better quality steel with slots

HD is better steel without slots

I’d be wary of RDA and PBR since I bought a set of each for my FG and both had excessive runout when brand new. Unlike the DBAs that eventually replaced them. Interestingly they trued up after about 10,000 kms of Bendix Ultimates but it wasn’t fun getting there. You could get lucky I suppose.

Not sure re pads for your application. OEM probably adequate. Bendix Ultimate better but dustier and more disc wear. DS Performance better again with similar wear to Ultimates.

Sensible choice is probably Holden pads and DBA rotors.

I’d probably convert to V8 brakes (321 or 346) before spending up on premium rotors or pads. Assuming CTSV Brembos won’t fit under your rims :)

just my 2c

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
So it seems the previous owners of my 2017 SV6 sedan liked to go hard on the brakes and consequently at 75,000klms I find myself having to replace the rotors due to uneven wear / gouging etc.

Now I figure if I am going to go to the expense of replacing all four rotors, am I better off with an aftermarket premium brake set up? There are plans to modify the car once out of manufacturers warranty for additional power etc, But probably not to the radical extreme where I would need a ceramic package or anything like that.

Just curious to see what others have replaced factory rotors and pads with on SV6 models.

Cheers
Brett

Go with DBA 4000 series (non slotted rotors) and good semi metalic pads. The lot will cost you about a grand and it will stop much better than the stock brakes...
Check out Brakes Direct

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Not sure if OP has purchased yet but here's some costed options:

1. DBA street series and NOS Holden pads for (115 - pads), (159 - rear discs), (179 - front discs) so total of $453 for as good as OEM and no headaches

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine...157671?hash=item2cfa9d0da7:g:aRYAAOSwZGJcY7Zl

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DBA-En-...Gen:VF&hash=item23a425cfd5:g:cMUAAOSwgn1dYJCa

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DBA-En-...Gen:VF&hash=item238fda0065:g:ClgAAOSwVZBdYJmj

2. Upgrade to V8 rotors which would mean need to buy some SH calipers in good nick:

Can't find a reference easily but should be able to get a set of good used V8 calipers for under $200, and just swap your caliper bodies onto the SH carrier brackets to save opening the lines. So can in fact probably buy not so good SH calipers...

Should able to get DBA street series V8 discs delivered for $440

Then pads as above for $115 so total cost of $755 plus your time.

3. To make either of the above stop harder could consider adding Bendix Ultimate pads (about $100) or DS Performance (about $200). My experience with both of these is that:
- The Ultimates have better fade resistance than the OEM pads
- The DS Performance pads have much better initial bite AND fade resistance, i.e. quite impressive, but will also be able to overheat the rotors it you brake hard and repeatedly, simply because the car stops better and you get to enjoy the late braking and fade resistance.
- Both are very dusty, to the point that if wheel geometry allowed, I'd spring for Brembos at an extra $500 or so with OEM style pads rather than having to clean the wheels every week or so...

4. From my experience (and with due respect to Ron) the HD series rotors are better, but it seems the main benefit is ability to not warp or crack if used/abused until glowing. So if you're not going to do this then there is the potential to save a few hundred by buying the street series, which should still be nice and true.