Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 and 3.9diff friendly to gearbox?

Gothem92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hey all,

Now i know there are plenty of threads out their about which diff to get etc etc. But the thing is i can't seem to find any solid talk on how the A5 gearbox for SV6's handle 3.9's. Due to the fact that the gearbox cant be unlocked as of yet. Now i've read very vague talk about that it can and cant but not enough to satisfy me. I know i think impulsivesv6 said the 3.45 (?) suit the A5 well but i'm after more of a kick.

If i get 3.9's installed will i be able to get the speedo and shift points recalibrated? and the gaerbox be able to handle it? Cause i read impusivesv6's gearbox cant keep up with his s/c and 3.45's and it end ups bouncing before shifting.

Also what place in Brisbane do you guys recommend and if anyone knows a rough estimate that'd be much appreciated.

Cheers

wish_i_had_an_8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais
id just get 3:46. thats what iv got (and what impulsesv6 has) they pull heaps hard enough and in my opinion anything shorter will not benifit you because 1st gear will become to short to use and the torque management that you have in 4th gear will be pushed lowed down the speedo. that is asumeing that you have a 5speed.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Can you get the A5's tightened (the belt and stuff.. forgot proper names) inside the tranny so it won't fail? I don't see why it won't take it, but i only know the one in my car.

As to Wish i had an 8 @

He's obviously known about the 3.45 option as he even clearly referenced implusesv6 (which you noticed too), so I'm going to guess he's not gunna just go with 3.45.

Why not 3.7's? 3.89's are a fair bit high and i think it's like 2,500revs @ 100 roughly.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
i think it depends on what you want in your car, obviously the 3.9 will be pretty quick around the town and prob up to 140kmph, but then again, most of us drive between that range anyways. the reason impulsesv6,s gearbox bounced at the end is because the gearbox could not be tuned to change the shift points, remember, the dif ratio is only the final drive ratio, and will not affect the gearbox in any way. also to add, a tech2 can calibrate the speedo