Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sv6 auto trans fill point

silver sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
Can any one help please , i can see the drain plug on the auto trans on my sv6 but can not see the fill point .Also after a good exhaust place in the Melbourne north area.One other thing want to put trans cooler on but not sure about the connection points to tap off.

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
pretty sure trans filler is same hole that you take the dipstick out of to check its level..left hand side of the engine while looking at it front on at the back

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
5 speeds don't have a dipstick

Breno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder SS
isnt the auto trans on the vz's a sealed unit?? ie no filling point

silver sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
trans unit is a sealed unit in only that u cant check oil level , but u have to be able to change the oil ,because the trans has to be able to be serviced , it has a drain plug in the base of the trans.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
isnt the auto trans on the vz's a sealed unit?? ie no filling point

i believe this is the case for the 5 speed but not the 4 speed as it the same box from the vy/t/s/r

silver sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
all auto units have to be serviced regularly if they are'nt the oil starts to burn and gear shifts start to come rough eventually the auto will die . I have had mine serviced at holden but want to put a fully synthetic oil in .

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
thats correct oil breaks down but these days manufacturers have gone for "sealed for life boxes" so no, not all boxes have drain and/or filling points anymore.

Classic example is the 5 speed in the Land Rover Discovery 3, its a ZF box and its sealed for life. They have been clapping out, only way to repair it is to buy an exchange box from ZF and give them the old one.

When I did training on the new Volvo we were also told the gearbox has no fill or drain point at all ...

jaz_777

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 voodoo thunder ss
hi, just did mine last weekend.. my mate works at holden and the procedure he gave me was to drain it, do the service, replace filter, gasket etc, then take out ur filler plug, which is located at the side of the box, on the passenger side at the back, its just above the top of the pan, looks exactly like the drain plug, but its a slightly diff size. the tricky part is filling it, u need to put the fluid in thru the plug until it starts to run out (just like a manual) but then u need to start the car, the torque converter will take up sum fluid, then with the car running u need to add more fluid till it starts to ruN out again, then replace the filler plug DO NOT TURN THE CAR OFF TILL THE PLUG IS BACK IN OR THE DRAINBACK FROM THE TORQUE CONVERTER WILL RUN BACK OUT. u will need a t40 torxbit to get the plugs out, and mine took just over 5 litres of fluid, hope that helps :)

silver sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
Thanks a lot jaz 777 that's exactly the information i needed