Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 average fuel consumption high after pick up from dealer?

forriesv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 M6
Before I confront the dealer I thought I'd confirm I actually have a case.

I picked up the car after getting some paint defects corrected under warranty, obviously the work was out sourced to another workshop.
When I dropped of the vehicle I reset the trip meter (which does the range/av fuel consumption at the same time) as I have always done.
3 days later I picked up the vehicle and checked the readout to discover that it has alledgedly covered a mere 2.1 km (not concerned) but the average consumption was 99.99l/100km!!:hmmm:

As soon as I started to drive the car the average plummeted to a more repectable figure, which has got me curious:
Have they had the car idling for the 3 days while it was having the work done?
Did the apprentice painter/tech get out of 1st gear bringing it back to the workshop?

Even after resetting I cannot replicate this figure. Maybe I'm not driving it like it's not mine.

Just thought I'd get some feedback on possble causes in case they feed me line.

My guess is it's been flogged quite hard.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
The battery may have been disconnected, or the IPC may have been reset causing it to default.

forriesv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 M6
Good point, I didn't even think about that.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
to get 99.99L per 100km over 2.1km, theyve either been wheel standing the thing in the parking lot... or there's a more logical explanation like already suggested.

I wouldnt worry about it mate... I'd be more concerned if it travelled a couple of hundred k's. The fact it's done next to nothing tells me it hasnt been flogged at all, and that it has probably been sitting idling for a bit.

forriesv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 M6
The battery disconnection is sounding like the explanation to me. Cheers for the input

IMCRZY

YO!
Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Excutive Turbo, 00 VT Olympic Edition
If u leave the car to idle the consumption will go up because the car is not doing any kms, i have had a few customers question this at my dealership....

Its shows that also because it went down as soon as you started driving again, some people freak when they see something like that on the dash lol but i can almost be 100% confident that this is the case so u need not worry

forriesv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 M6
After thinking about the responses on here I'm not as worried about it now.

philsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6
its normal, reset the L/100 and let it idlle for a min, and the L/100 will max out. then drive for 5 min and it will give you a realistic reading.