Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Commodore seems to be bursting with power on a cold start

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Only had my VF for 1.5 weeks and the differences between it and the Outback it replaced are immense ( another thread hereabouts I think, to contribute to ) one of the more noticeable, is how quickly the VF reaches operating temperature.
I have an outback and a ls3 it's so much harder to go back to the 4cyl.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A choke is a carby thing; the LFX has an electronic throttle, and while I don’t 100% know it doesn’t have a separate idle control valve I’m fairly sure that idle control on the LFX works by opening the throttle a bit ... and cold start would do the same, but open it up just a bit more than usual so it idles a bit higher when cold.

I'm fairly sure with the advent of the electronic throttle there was no need for a separate idle control as the throttle is controlled by the pcm and it can do it all.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The old analogue carb methods to handle cold idle speed control were numberous. One method i used was the right foot when the auto choke system was not working on my old car.

So it wouldn't surprise me if there is a software module that takes care of the cold idle speed control and it's called the choke module or such.

Reaction score
Website
nztechblog.net
Members Ride
2013 Holden Commodore VF SV6
Thanks for the updates guys.

The other potential issue I have is that when I come to a complete stop say at a traffic light, I can sometimes feel the car shake a bit, more so when the engine is colder. It feels a bit like rough idling but I can't seem to pin it to what's wrong. Have always been putting in 98 too.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
How many km's? Has it been serviced?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Thanks for the updates guys.

The other potential issue I have is that when I come to a complete stop say at a traffic light, I can sometimes feel the car shake a bit, more so when the engine is colder. It feels a bit like rough idling but I can't seem to pin it to what's wrong. Have always been putting in 98 too.
I've noticed a few members complaining about injectors.
They were v8, l think? So maybe not?