Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Commodore seems to be bursting with power on a cold start

Reaction score
Website
nztechblog.net
Members Ride
2013 Holden Commodore VF SV6
Hi guys, when I start her up in the morning, she's always bursting with power, like I can let go a little bit of the brake and she'd jolt forward like she's been holding in all this power. After 15-20 seconds, she calms down and she's back to normal. This is even when I'm on a flat surface!

Does anybody know what the cause of this is please?

Thanks.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Cold start often idles the engine higher than when it’s warmed up, could be that?
It’s basically the same thing as putting your foot down on the go-pedal a bit.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Automatic choke? Every commodore I've owned has been more lively for a bit on a cold start. As above, I assumed it was the choke doing it's thing.......?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
A choke is a carby thing; the LFX has an electronic throttle, and while I don’t 100% know it doesn’t have a separate idle control valve I’m fairly sure that idle control on the LFX works by opening the throttle a bit ... and cold start would do the same, but open it up just a bit more than usual so it idles a bit higher when cold.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
It's just the engine management system doing what it's supposed to.... sensing the coolant is cold, it increases the idle speed to prevent stalling after a cold start. Once the coolant has warmed up a bit (as you say, after about 15-20 seconds) the EMS gradually reduces the idle speed back to normal, i.e. around 550 rpm.

M

mwb235

Hi guys, when I start her up in the morning, she's always bursting with power, like I can let go a little bit of the brake and she'd jolt forward like she's been holding in all this power. After 15-20 seconds, she calms down and she's back to normal. This is even when I'm on a flat surface!

Thanks.

My 2014 Calais V V6 auto is exactly the same when engine is cold. It feels like (well, almost) it wants to pull out a tree stump during those first 10-15 seconds. I never put it in drive until the revs drop back down. So I’d say it’s normal don’t worry.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
My 2014 Calais V V6 auto is exactly the same when engine is cold. It feels like (well, almost) it wants to pull out a tree stump during those first 10-15 seconds. I never put it in drive until the revs drop back down. So I’d say it’s normal don’t worry.

Had the same with my 2015 Sv6 Storm and my current 2017 V6 Calais V also has the same behaviour. Let the engine idle in its higher revs to warm up, then once the RPM comes down after 10-15 seconds, I put it in Drive / Reverse.

Completely normal behaviour for the LFX.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Normal for virtually any car actually. Except say Tesla's and other wind up toys.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.

Thanks.

My 2012 VE is exactly the same when first started,i have to have the foot on the brake until it warms up a bit otherwise i back into a wall or lunge at the sidewall of the garage as i back out.

King Brown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CalaisV Series2 6.2 Sportswagon
Only had my VF for 1.5 weeks and the differences between it and the Outback it replaced are immense ( another thread hereabouts I think, to contribute to ) one of the more noticeable, is how quickly the VF reaches operating temperature.