Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sv6 diff

VZ97

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turismo blue VZ SV6
Howdy, all. Recently I've been experiencing some issues with my diff on my 2005 VZ SV6 commodore (stock 2.87:1 ratio) it's been clunking, whining,and well...just been a general pain in the ass. I have decided that I want to buy a good second hand diff but I have found doing so to be difficult. At the moment I have my eye on a good second hand one , the ratio is the same and it's for a vz BUT the 8 digit number on the diff ID label is different to mine. The number on my ID label is : 92164714 and the number on the diff I'm looking at is : 92187422. I'm not exactly sure what this number means so I was hoping someone on here could tell me Exactly what it means I'd appreciate it ! Thank you all !

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Just a thought...
Have you changed the oil in the diff? Many a whine has been fixed by replacing with a good quality oil.
Clunking can come from a number of areas in the drive train and may not just be the diff.
Worth a try and a lot cheaper (~$50) than replacing the diff.

Good luck, Nick

VZ97

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turismo blue VZ SV6
Hey mate. Yeah I have tried changing the oil already, unfortunately it only fixed the whineing for about at week ! And I checked with my mechanic and he said that the clunk is defiantly coming from my diff. Thank you for your reply, nick !

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto

VZ97

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turismo blue VZ SV6
Okay thanks for that ! I'm not looking for any extra Power at the moment, so would the 92187422 fit on perfectly ? Would I require any mods ?

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Should bolt straight up.