Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 electic mirror

Buckd1ch

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6 A6
Hey guys,
Bought my car only a week ago, when i picked it up i found that the passenger side mirror was not working (could not adjust it with the switch and if i adjusted it by hand it would quickly go back to where it was before). Im not here to bitch and moan about this, because as everyone knows 'buyer beware' just thought i'd post some back story first.

Today a mate and i went to the wreckers and bought a new mirror which was off a black VY as they only had black,red and hothouse green in stock (i have a impulse blue vz sv6). Anyhow they are an identical build (from what i can tell anyway) and i now have a working mirror.

Now, from the looks of these mirrors it 'almost' looks like i can pop the painted part of the mirror (only a very small part of the back section of the mirror assembly) off and could just swap the painted parts on the mirrors. I only had a very quick go and was extremely careful not to scratch the blue one i took off. Does anyone know if this is possible at all? or are they really stuck on well to prevent leaking etc..

Failing that, what would be the best course of action to get this mirror painted?. Because it is such a small section to paint would it be possible to do it at home? Or should i just take it to a painter or something and get it sorted there?

Thanks in advance guys,
Tim

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
If you go to the zoo and hand it to the biggest gorilla you can find i'm almost postive he could get it off.

But seriously, they appear to be stuck on during manufacture Not designed to come off.

Give painting it yourself a go. If it turns out rubbish. Give it to a panel shop to fix.

Buckd1ch

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6 A6
Thanks mate,
I've never painted anything to do with a car before, so i wouldnt even know where to start. Would you reccomend going to a painter and getting them to match it and getting some paint made up for me?. Or because it is such a small surface would going to supercheap or something like that and getting a touch up paint or something like that suffice?.

Cheers, Tim

ufo8mycow

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VF
Sand it back with 2000 grade sand paper wet dry of course using wet, use plastic primer give it a couple of light Coates, less is more. Go to ur paint shop n get them to mix ur colour car up in a pressure pack n give it light Coates until it looks good :) u may have to do some light sanding again if u get any runs