Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Engine rattle/vibration noise at high rpm

LachieKb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
I’ve recently started getting an unusual noise in my MY10 SV6 manual ute. It happens mainly as I reach high revs, about 3k+, and is most obvious when letting off the throttle. Upshifting stops the noise once you release the clutch and the revs drop. If you let off the throttle without shifting the noise mostly stops after 1-2 seconds even if the revs are still high.
The noise sounds like a metallic vibration or a rattle. The best way I could describe it is the sound of a fan hitting a heat shield, but I don’t think that’s actually what it is. I don’t know what it is but it isn’t causing any faults and doesn’t seem to affect performance or anything when it starts. Any ideas?

Edit: I’ll take back what I said about performance. Under hard acceleration I get flat spots in the power curve and I’m getting noticeably worse fuel economy.

Last edited:

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Loose change in the ashtray compartment :rolleyes:

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Unless there’s a hidden ash tray in the engine bay I don’t think so
HeHeeee

yeh sorry mate, was feeling kinda clownish when i answered...

Sometimes bolts/nuts etc come loose over time - go through the main culprits & see if you can identify any loose bolts/nuts etc

LachieKb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
HeHeeee

yeh sorry mate, was feeling kinda clownish when i answered...

Sometimes bolts/nuts etc come loose over time - go through the main culprits & see if you can identify any loose bolts/nuts etc
Fair enough, it’s not much info to go on to make any real guesses. Although I’ll say now that it does seem to be affecting fuel economy and power so I don’t think it’s just a loose bolt. After driving around the city for about 3 hours today my economy was up to 14.1L/100km even driving like a granny. Usually I floor it everywhere and it doesn’t get above 12L/100km so something is definitely wrong. When I floor it now I get flat spots in the power curve and the exhaust sounds much raspier. Don’t know if that gives anyone a better idea.