Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Engine Rattle

Williamisenuf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportwagon Red Hot
Hey I have noticed when starting my VF after its been sitting for a few hours when I start it makes a rattle metallic sound for a second, 3 seconds after its started! Is this the dreaded timing chain? My cars done 100,000kms and apart from the rattle runs fine!

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Hey I have noticed when starting my VF after its been sitting for a few hours when I start it makes a rattle metallic sound for a second, 3 seconds after its started! Is this the dreaded timing chain? My cars done 100,000kms and apart from the rattle runs fine!

I have a 2105 VF SV6 no engine rattles on startup as yet.
The normal queries - correct engine oil and filter, regular servicing etc. Does the oil pressure warning light work etc. ?
If some warranty left I'd hot foot it to Holden dealer.
Good luck with the solution.

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5
Whats your service history like? There is a common link with these engines between servicing and chains.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I have replaced the timing chains and tensioners, oil pickup seal in the sump and still makes the ******* sound :(

Well if it's been running ok in the nine months between your first post and this one, then you'll more than likely be ok..

Probably worthwhile getting it to a mechanic at some point though...o_O

Williamisenuf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportwagon Red Hot
No it’s been playing up the whole time! Everytime I take my car to Holden it never plays up and they can’t fault it! Seems to be a common issue with this the V6 LFX engine. But nobody knows what it actually is.