Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sv6 engine squeal?!?!?

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
my car went in for for warranty job this morning, I have an 06 sv6 with the 5spd AS transmission, car has less than 10k and have noticed the engine squeals when reved above 4500rpm, as a mechanical fitter i reckon it sounds like a belt slipping, anyway rang up Doug Barton Holden where i bought the car told them the problem, as well as the glovebox dropping (common problem) and the LHF door lock not always fully unlocking, and they had no problem with any of the warranty claims, when i took the car in they had on their service inspection sheet " ***REPLACE TRANSMISSION*** "
so im wondering if anyone else has had any similar faults and what holdens repair was,

my brother has an 3.8 vy auto ute and he says his engine squeals above 2500rpm, he took it to Motorama Holden where he bought the car, and they had no clue what the problem was, they replaced the belt, tensioners, pulleys, alternator, and claimed they fixed it, brother then drove home and within 5ks of the dealership squeal started again?!? as its his work car he's not very happy!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Tell him to take a copy of your report in to them and see what they say.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
id say your damm lucky impulsesv6 that your dealer came out with replacing such a major and expensive part of your car and not stuffing you around like some...

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Yeah I've seen this before, a squeel that sounds like the belt on an e-series falcon but it turns out to be the flywheel or gearbox.

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
picked up the car the next morning and they said they realigned the pulleys, (i didnt think that was possible) but the squeal is less but is still there, it goes back on again monday.

dagar187

ls1nder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ-SS
dont ya luv how they make u go bak again and again w/out even doing much.ppl gotta work and they just think u can drop off anytime.hope they finally fix it for ya impulse.ever since joining this forum ive been to scared :) to use my dealer unless warrnty issues.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
dont ya luv how they make u go bak again and again w/out even doing much.ppl gotta work and they just think u can drop off anytime.hope they finally fix it for ya impulse.ever since joining this forum ive been to scared :) to use my dealer unless warrnty issues.

Problem with dealers is they want to pump out as many cars as they can in a day (for service) as the prices are so stupidly expensive. But due to this practice they try to find the problem and if they cannot do it quickly they say they couldn't replicate it.

80shovelead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais, VS Exec, VL Exec
Problem with dealers is they want to pump out as many cars as they can in a day (for service) as the prices are so stupidly expensive. But due to this practice they try to find the problem and if they cannot do it quickly they say they couldn't replicate it.

Thats not true about pumping out as many cars as possible, its so that you are not with out your car for an extended length of time because most people use there cars atleast once a day and dont want to be left out on a limb to get around. As for not being able to replicate a sound the customer must give a good description of when the sound ocours and what road condtions there on, giving a brief description doesnt help to diagnose the problem that is there. In saying that it can take a good day of dianosing to find where the noise is coming from so the part gets replaced, and theres no more sound until the car gets driven home and the sound comes back but its from a different area the second time.

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
car came back again and squeal is still there, took it back again today and they adjusted the pulleys again while i waited and the prob is still there, car will be in all day again tomorrow,

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Have you driven the car with a tech and pointed out the noise to them?