Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 low speed noise?

ncielens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SV6
G'day all. Well I've got my VZ SV6 and what a great car. I test drove a couple prior to buying this one and I know they do make a few rattles, but I have a query about a noise mine makes.

It is only at low speed (less than 20km/h), generally only on deceleration (with no brakes applied) and in a straight line. It sounds like it is coming from the front end, i'd almost describe it like the brake discs were rubbing. The sound does not change by any brake application. The brake pads are fine and there is no shudder/vibration in the steering wheel.

Some people have mentioned power steering related issues, I have a feeling it may just be one of those noises the car makes (like the howling owl my old WRX transmission maked when you take the foot of the gas at speed, sounds like you just ran over a dozen owls). But just wanted to see if people have had similar issues?

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
my sv6 doesnt do it, if it is annoying just take it to holden to fix it under warrenty.

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
U sure its not coming from the rear, they have a problem where they fit a return spring to the handbrake shoes, this and a correct shoe adjustment.
Sounds like a, whossh, whossh, rotational sound.

KITTAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 V8 VE Calais V 60th Anniversary Edition
It might be a build up of brakes dust on the disc brakes and calipers. Our VZ Calais has a slight sqwel at low speed also and took the car back under warranty and they said it was just dust build up. They cleaned them for me for free and it stopped for a few weeks and then came back again. They said that it builds up quickly and there is nothing that can be done about it. Because they are not allowed to use Asbestos in the brakes pads anymore and now they are prone to cause brake sqwel.

adrenalin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Manual
My VX made a kind of "light" metal scraping noise. Turned out there's a shroud near the brake calipers somewhere which can come loose. A rivet or two by the dealer under warranty and it was fixed, apparently it's a known Commodore issue.

Just starting to notice something similar on my SV6 now too.

ncielens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SV6
U sure its not coming from the rear, they have a problem where they fit a return spring to the handbrake shoes, this and a correct shoe adjustment.
Sounds like a, whossh, whossh, rotational sound.

This sounds more like it, but I am sure it is coming from front end??

Thanks 4 replies.