Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Mechanical Issues

Nordy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
Hey guys

Lately found a few issues arising with my SV6 and have now booked it in for a thorough warranty check next Tuesday. Just thought Id mention the issues Im having and find out if anyone is having similar issues or if anyone might know what they might be?
- First is Im hearing a metal sort of grinding/vibrating sound coming from the engine bay when accelerating in 4th from about 65 up to 80km/h.
- Second issue is a knocking/vibrating sort of sound when in neutral with the car running when the clutch is out but the noise disappears as soon as I engage the clutch. Thinking this might be a throw-out bearing.
- Third one is one that I think Ive heard of a few people having some issues with in the past and that is my gearbox is quite notchy between gears and sometimes I get quite a loud clunk noise when changing between gears 1, 2 & 3.
If anyone might have some answers for me or can say theyre having similar issues might help me for when I take the car in next Tuesday.

Cheers
Jamie

colk

VZ 3.6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 Exec
I get the occasional clunk also, almost sounds like the diff but I could be wrong. It only rarely happens but if I am at almost crawling speed, de-press the accelerator then accelerate straight away it will sometimes clunk. I have the standard LSD Diff. I wonder if it does it with the open wheeler or if it’s the transmission??

Nordy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
Yea I occassionally get a similar thing from around the diff when Im changing from 1st to 2nd and also putting into 1st when im already slightly moving. Is yours a manual or auto tho mate? My car is an open wheeler and Im getting these noises

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
Hey guys

Lately found a few issues arising with my SV6 and have now booked it in for a thorough warranty check next Tuesday. Just thought Id mention the issues Im having and find out if anyone is having similar issues or if anyone might know what they might be?
- First is Im hearing a metal sort of grinding/vibrating sound coming from the engine bay when accelerating in 4th from about 65 up to 80km/h.
- Second issue is a knocking/vibrating sort of sound when in neutral with the car running when the clutch is out but the noise disappears as soon as I engage the clutch. Thinking this might be a throw-out bearing.
- Third one is one that I think Ive heard of a few people having some issues with in the past and that is my gearbox is quite notchy between gears and sometimes I get quite a loud clunk noise when changing between gears 1, 2 & 3.
If anyone might have some answers for me or can say theyre having similar issues might help me for when I take the car in next Tuesday.

Cheers
Jamie

I have all of those aswell but i also get the vibrating in 6th at 95kph.

Nordy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
I have all of those aswell but i also get the vibrating in 6th at 95kph.
I actually tried mine on the way home and I think I may have it at this same spot too, not quite as severe as at 65 but still slightly evident. Seems weird

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
Do you also get the chronic steering shudder at just under 100kph. To be honest im not really concerned with it cause it hasn't affected performance and the engine sounds fine. Well as fine as a hairdryer can sound

Nordy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
Do you also get the chronic steering shudder at just under 100kph. To be honest im not really concerned with it cause it hasn't affected performance and the engine sounds fine. Well as fine as a hairdryer can sound
Nah mate I dont get the steering shudder but basically none of my wheels, tyres or suspension are stock. I was gona ask if youd investigated into what might of been causing it but by the sounds of it you havnt.

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
Funny you should ask that cause i was going to get it done this week just gone only to find out my waranty has just expired so im not going to pay those farkers at the holden dealership to check it. The shudder is hell annoying. ive got different rims but thats about it.

benzor

yawn :(
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6!
get them balanced and rotated + An alignment,

Could be cheap rims causing it