Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Alloytec] SV6 Modification Help (200+ Rear Wheel KW)

TheDiddler

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hey everyone,

So I am looking at selling my VZ SV6 Ute, and with that, and the money I have saved up I'll have a fair bit in the bank. So I am looking at getting a SV6 sedan either VZ or early VE and I have found a bunch of modifications that I need some more information about and whether or not they are even worth doing.

First of all, if an Alloytec has been looked after, can they live past 250,000 KM pretty easily?

Now for the mods: (If you can give your thoughts and opinions on them that would be great!)

CPR6 Manifold/Cam Package = Heard good things about this, but it is very expensive.

Cold Air Intake (Over The Radiator, or just the two hole mod) = Not to sure, the OTR is quite expensive with most brands.

Air Intake Manifold Insulator = Don't have a clue what this does.

Under Drive Pulley = Don't have a clue with this one either.

Full Exhaust = Now I have found a few good bundles for this one, but I was also thinking get extractors remove that cats, and just have a full straight pipe from there. Now that would be cheaper and would sound amazing with the other mods but obviously be very loud, and illegal.

Diff Gearing = Do not have much of and idea about this one either, with cost and where I would get it installed.

Some sort of Tune = This is quite expensive, but would be needed with all the other modifications.

Front Strut Brace = To stiffen up the ride a little bit.

Brake Upgrade = Now not to sure about this one, but obviously it would be safer to have some better brakes. Maybe performance brake pads, and slotted rotors? I really don't know.

Now would the engine/clutch survive this? And what about an auto, would the transmission be able to handle all of this?

And I am assuming a if I got a Cross 6 I could do most of these modifications since it has the same engine?

What sort of gains am I looking to get, and would a be able to get the estimate of a price?

Is it even worth it, should I just get a track ready car like a 350Z or save up a bit more for a V8 as most SS owners would say haha!

Sorry for the big read lads, but any help is greatly appreciated, if I go through with this build I'll make a thread! Cheers.

P.S. I put a new engine in my ute, it was the 175 KW, now the 190 KW, and it keeps coming up with the error CHECK POWER-TRAIN, now I got the workshop to run a computer through it and it thinks that it is the Oxygen Sensor, has anyone else had this problem, and have they fixed it?

P.S.S. How do you go about machining VE rims for a VZ?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Yes 190kw still running like a swiss watch at 345,000 and lots of club members I know up there too with little or no real issues
We have a SS inductions growler nice improvement in torque and sounds grouse..
manifold insulators reduce the heat transfer from engine to plenum (keeps air colder as it enters.... bit of a waste of money)
Exhaust quick and easy get a v8 exhaust and delete the rear muffler (or replace with 2x 12 inch hotdogs)
Find a wrecker with an Adventra and buy the factory strut brace...
Cheap and good brakes recommend Rapid RS straight slot rotors (dimples are a waste of space and straight slots perform better than curly ones)
Run Dexron VI in trans and add a PWR cooler kit
Really only amazing increase with 190s is to add a super charger ... If you are going there might aswell get an LS1 and tune it (the cost saving will pay the fuel difference for next 15 years)

hope that helps

Last edited:

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Sorry to disappoint but if an OTR looks expensive to you, forget about getting 200+ RWKW out of an Alloytec.

About your O2 sensors issue, the 190kW engine is supposed to have 4 O2 sensors (pre and post cat). If you kept the old exhaust with only 2 sensors, that would explain a lot.

TheDiddler

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Cheers for the replies fellas.

And in reply to Capsule I mean, for what seems to be minimal gain it seems expensive. If you understand what I mean hah?

Does anyone know how the Alloytec Engine goes with forced induction? (Price?, KW gains?, Reliability?)

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
err underdrive pulleys don't increase boost.
Typically the underdrive is on the Harmonic balancer, and it's purpose is to turn the other belt driven devices (which rob power) more slowly so the sap less power. Essentially an underdrive slows belt speed. An OVERDRIVE increases belt speed, and an undersize supercharger pulley increase supercharger speed and therefore boost.

#1. Build the brakes and driveline FIRST. Build a big power engine, fang it, then drive off the end of the road into the creek- not a good look.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
err underdrive pulleys don't increase boost.
Typically the underdrive is on the Harmonic balancer, and it's purpose is to turn the other belt driven devices (which rob power) more slowly so the sap less power. Essentially an underdrive slows belt speed. An OVERDRIVE increases belt speed, and an undersize supercharger pulley increase supercharger speed and therefore boost.

#1. Build the brakes and driveline FIRST. Build a big power engine, fang it, then drive off the end of the road into the creek- not a good look.
My bad error removed...

TheDiddler

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
So an Underdrive Pulley basically frees up a little bit of power, would you know if it is noticeable?

Makes sense to upgrade handling and brakes first if I was planning on really big power :)

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
So an Underdrive Pulley basically frees up a little bit of power, would you know if it is noticeable?

There are various reports here. Some call bullshit and some others say/think they gained a bit.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Supercharger will give you the gain you chase but at around $5000 for just the kit as I said before better off just getting a V8.. You will also just brick your trans quicker in the v6 if you boost it