Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Not cranking, weird relay noise under bonnet.

dimsimnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Z SERIES
Are you using the required cable?

The ELM software is happy to use an ELM327 bluetooth adapter, i guess that's why they called it Software on ELM street.

I'm going to assume that because the software can query the Transmission and Fuel Pump control modules that it is connected ok.

What id really like now is some idea of how to trouble shoot a faulty ECU - check for power/earth at whatever pins etc and also what is the process for replacing the ECU outside of the dealer network.

SMWALKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice PPV 6.0
I just had a similar situation on my WN PPV. I had recently painted my engine compartment and found the Engine ground going through the fuse bracket was the weak link. Think yours (VE body) is straight to the shock tower but it was behaving the same. If you want to test the theory run a jumper cable from your negative battery post to the Engine on a good ground. If it fires right up then you got a bad ground I would think at the chassis point where the engine grounds. Just need a long pair of cables. Or if you got an extra battery go to the battery jumping post up front and ground to the engine.

What I ended up doing: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4112#p30628

dimsimnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Z SERIES
I just had a similar situation on my WN PPV. I had recently painted my engine compartment and found the Engine ground going through the fuse bracket was the weak link. Think yours (VE body) is straight to the shock tower but it was behaving the same. If you want to test the theory run a jumper cable from your negative battery post to the Engine on a good ground. If it fires right up then you got a bad ground I would think at the chassis point where the engine grounds. Just need a long pair of cables. Or if you got an extra battery go to the battery jumping post up front and ground to the engine.

What I ended up doing: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4112#p30628

Thanks Steve - I'll check that although i think my fault is a little different to yours, Battery voltage doesn't decrease when attempting to crank and also my ECU isn't able to be queried via the OBD2 port whereas the Transmission and Fuel Pump modules are.

I'll make another post and see if someone can help with ECU diagnosis to confirm.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If you want an ECM diagnosis, down load the factory manual and it will give you a diagnostic process to follow (a flow chart) in order to confirm that the ECM is faulty.

A quick search will locate a source link here (hosted on a google drive) which will be a large file but is your only option.
Unfortunately, unless you are connected to the Holden Intranet, the links can't work but they can be searched for with in the pdf.
Enable the side bar.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
A quick search will locate a source link here (hosted on a google drive)

Danielson1958

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 ve equip wagon 3.6
Hi did you get this sorted I had same problem same noise and found loos bad earth connection wires coming from fuse relay box to side of engine I had ignition on and touched the harness and could hear the clicking sound that sought of reset it got it started touched the harness again and it stopped running there were about 4 or 5 wires to that part of the harness but was easy fix for mechanic he just snipped them off and re crimped new piece on like original one which was a poor manufacturing job to start with but hope you have it sorted as your post was a while back

Danielson1958

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 ve equip wagon 3.6
20200101_181806.jpg