Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Oil Catch Can

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by tosspint, Jun 4, 2009.

1. tosspint

tosspint New Member

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 V6
    Just wondering if anyone has hooked up an oil catch can to the SV6. I took a look last night and couldn't figure out how to plum it in? Anyone have an idea or pics on how to do this? The PCV system on the SV6 seems a bit different.

2. myberlina

myberlina BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!

Members Ride:
    2006 VE Calais
    I am also interested in this. Found a lot of oil crap handing around the air intake already.

3. wizeabe

wizeabe New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Omega
    I've been interested in this as well and I've been searching for a long time and I've found something that might help. Take a look at the PDF below, seems that the can just goes between the PCV line before going back into the air intake.

Never tried this and I'm hoping someone can confirm this installation with the alloytec, just seems to simple.

http://www.accmachtech.com/PCVCatchCanInstallationInstructions.pdf

4. monaro327

monaro327 New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
    depends what sort of catch can mate if it's a baffled can that is the correct way. that way will only stop oil air from on of the pcv lines not both though. but thaty way is legal.

5. tosspint

tosspint New Member

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 V6
    Thanks for the info guys. I just might give this a shot. Monaro, where is the other PCV line on the Alloytech V6? Still trying to learn this engine, it's a bit different from the LSx's I'm used to! ;)

6. Silver6

Silver6 New Member

Members Ride:
    06 VE SV6
    So this would stop oil from getting into my intake piping? I want to run a pipe without resonators but dont want oil to go in their too. How often would you clean it out? And last but not least. The hose that goes into the intake is that the PCV line?

7. SSVAGON

SSVAGON New Member

Members Ride:
    VEII SV6 Ute
  8. Silver6

Silver6 New Member

Members Ride:
    06 VE SV6
  9. Silver6

Silver6 New Member

Members Ride:
    06 VE SV6
    Had to get it off my phone. No idea why i couldn't see it on my laptop :computer:

10. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
    Out of interest what are the advantages of installing a catch can. Apart from the obvious i.e. no oil in intake. In other words are there any disadvantages to having a minute amount of clean engine oil in there? I would assume most of the oil passing through the PCV hose makes in into the cylinders and is combusted? This may provide some lubrication advantages as well, and the ECU may be tuned for oil in the intake air?

Just interested.

11. Silver6

Silver6 New Member

Members Ride:
    06 VE SV6
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. All good questions an i cant answer one, lol. I would assume the only advantage is no oil in the intake. Interesting question about the extra lube though. I would be interested to know. I just want one so i can get rid of the resonators and have a pipe that goes straight to the throttle body so it looks neater :)

12. Pyrex

Pyrex New Member

Members Ride:
    ve ute
    Cuda, oil in the intake, mixing with air-fuel, effectively lowers the octane of the fuel causing the ecu to back off the timing thus losing power and economy.
    There can also be a build up of oil sludge in the inlet and behind the valves.
    Silver, the line from the passenger rocker cover to the inlet, before the throttle body is NOT the pcv (its a breather).
    The pcv on the alloytec is at the back of the drivers side rocker cover. Its a small black valve, the hose coming off it split into 2 and then run into the back left and right side of the inlet manifold (hoses are easy to see with the engine cover off).

13. HEXEM

HEXEM Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6
    The amount of oil passing through the PCV system can be quite a bit. When you consider its always there no matter when you do an oil change. The oil in the PCV line is not "clean" engine oil it is contaminated. As the oil enters to intake manifold it fouls the quality of the air used mixed with fuel and is reported to lower the octane rating of fuel decreasing fuel economy.

In the SIDI engines the oil residue in the intake manifold works its way to the back of the valves and is caught there where it burns and can create other issues which could be costly to rectify. This issue is believed to be not as much an issue with older VE V6 engine (LLT) and GEN4 as the valves have some fuel over spray behind them to clean the PCV oil residue off.

I am not sure about the PCV system being designed to lube anything, not sure I'd want that oil lubing anything other than going back into the sump.

OPPs,,, to slow at typing, someone before me has said the same thing.... anyway !!! :)

Here are some of the hose you need to place the catch can.

Attached Files:

14. dans_vz

dans_vz Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual & 05 VZ Calais daily
    Can the V6 brackets be purchased anywhere yet?

15. HEXEM

HEXEM Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6
    I bought the G8 bracket and made up a slight mod bracket

16. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    What does that mean please?

17. Michael-08-VE

Michael-08-VE New Member

Members Ride:
    Ve commodore
    Can it be used with the stock intake?

18. phillmac

phillmac New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
    My SV6 2 used oil from new until 45,000 service when they admitted it and did the ECU re-program that makes the flap close fully. Has used non on dipstick for 6000km.
    Changed it and sent a sample to Blackstones in US for testing incase they mixed **** with it and to see motor condition before warranty expires. I checked and found no oil or residule in throttle body, inlet and air filter but found fresh oil in inlet manifold. That's all I know so far.

19. HEXEM

HEXEM Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6
    Sorry Pete, I meant to say I modified another steel bracket to connect the G8 one to it. The modified bracket connects to the bolt that holds some sort of solenoid in front of the engine. I wanted to put my catch can in a very similar position as the guys in the US are doing.

The bracket I made up positions the G8 bracket just under the engine cover post and bolts onto the engine just to the left of the engine cover bracket

See photos below.

Attached Files:

20. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
    Thanks for the explanations blokes. Yes all engine oil is contaminated to an extent. After all apart from lubrication and cooling, cleaning (i.e trapping burned & unburned fuel contaminants)is one of the major functions of engine oil in a four stroke. I hadn't thought about this lowering the octane rating though. The reality is that the oil ring drags this same oil up and down the cylinder walls, and some of this gets burned too. I can see the theory behind the benefits of an oil can / filter on the SIDI's though. As a DFI engine, the inlet manifold on the SIDI is effectively only an oxygen inlet manifold. Therefore there is definitely more potential for oil vapour passing through the PCV system to liquify and accumulate in the inlet manifold and heads behind the intake valve.

Hexem
    Good job on the oil collector can mounting.
    I'd be interested to hear of any tangible performance or fuel economy benefits. Also how much oil is collected in say 1,000k's of city and highway driving, and if the addition of the collector can increases the amount of oil needed to be added between services. I doubt it but...

Cheers