Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Oil Catch Can

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Hexem
Good job on the oil collector can mounting.
I'd be interested to hear of any tangible performance or fuel economy benefits. Also how much oil is collected in say 1,000k's of city and highway driving, and if the addition of the collector can increases the amount of oil needed to be added between services. I doubt it but...

Cheers

Fuel economy is better since installing it (was 11ltrs per 100 now 9.8ltrs city driving) at 20,000klms. No performance as such other than keeping the octane rating closer to 98 (I use BP Ultimate). I tend to empty the can ever 5,000klm. There is only mills in the bottom of the can (I haven't measured it) but its enough. My engine does not use oil between services (every 7,500klm).

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Sorry Pete, I meant to say I modified another steel bracket to connect the G8 one to it. The modified bracket connects to the bolt that holds some sort of solenoid in front of the engine. I wanted to put my catch can in a very similar position as the guys in the US are doing.

The bracket I made up positions the G8 bracket just under the engine cover post and bolts onto the engine just to the left of the engine cover bracket

See photos below.
Thanks mate I`m waiting for my can and getting the G8 bracket from the pics you gave me before cheers Pete.

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Forgive my noobiness but how does having the catch can improve fuel economy?

Is there a particular branded one I should buy or type i should buy?

Instead of trying to burn a mix of oil and petrol it'll only have petrol to mix with air which will help it burn more efficiently meaning it'll need a little less petrol to make the same amount of power.
(Just to sum it up)

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
why the f dont cars come with catch cans from the factory if they can make a considerable difference to fuel economy?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
So u spend more money

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
I bought the Elite Engineering catch can from Tuff Car Parts in Melbourne. Very popular amongst Holden owners and well engineered.