Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Oil Catch Can

Silver6

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SV6
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. All good questions an i cant answer one, lol. I would assume the only advantage is no oil in the intake. Interesting question about the extra lube though. I would be interested to know. I just want one so i can get rid of the resonators and have a pipe that goes straight to the throttle body so it looks neater :)

Pyrex

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute
Cuda, oil in the intake, mixing with air-fuel, effectively lowers the octane of the fuel causing the ecu to back off the timing thus losing power and economy.
There can also be a build up of oil sludge in the inlet and behind the valves.
Silver, the line from the passenger rocker cover to the inlet, before the throttle body is NOT the pcv (its a breather).
The pcv on the alloytec is at the back of the drivers side rocker cover. Its a small black valve, the hose coming off it split into 2 and then run into the back left and right side of the inlet manifold (hoses are easy to see with the engine cover off).

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
The amount of oil passing through the PCV system can be quite a bit. When you consider its always there no matter when you do an oil change. The oil in the PCV line is not "clean" engine oil it is contaminated. As the oil enters to intake manifold it fouls the quality of the air used mixed with fuel and is reported to lower the octane rating of fuel decreasing fuel economy.

In the SIDI engines the oil residue in the intake manifold works its way to the back of the valves and is caught there where it burns and can create other issues which could be costly to rectify. This issue is believed to be not as much an issue with older VE V6 engine (LLT) and GEN4 as the valves have some fuel over spray behind them to clean the PCV oil residue off.

I am not sure about the PCV system being designed to lube anything, not sure I'd want that oil lubing anything other than going back into the sump.

OPPs,,, to slow at typing, someone before me has said the same thing.... anyway !!! :)

Here are some of the hose you need to place the catch can.

Attachments

• IMG_2419_zps6a7991fc.jpg
    IMG_2419_zps6a7991fc.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,899
  • IMG_2418_zpse2a1b1ad.jpg
    IMG_2418_zpse2a1b1ad.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 3,021

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Can the V6 brackets be purchased anywhere yet?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
My SV6 2 used oil from new until 45,000 service when they admitted it and did the ECU re-program that makes the flap close fully. Has used non on dipstick for 6000km.
Changed it and sent a sample to Blackstones in US for testing incase they mixed **** with it and to see motor condition before warranty expires. I checked and found no oil or residule in throttle body, inlet and air filter but found fresh oil in inlet manifold. That's all I know so far.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
What does that mean please?

Sorry Pete, I meant to say I modified another steel bracket to connect the G8 one to it. The modified bracket connects to the bolt that holds some sort of solenoid in front of the engine. I wanted to put my catch can in a very similar position as the guys in the US are doing.

The bracket I made up positions the G8 bracket just under the engine cover post and bolts onto the engine just to the left of the engine cover bracket

See photos below.

Attachments

• IMG_1251.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,329
  • IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 2,443
  • IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,551
  • IMG_1248.jpg
    IMG_1248.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,232
  • IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,086
  • IMG_1246.jpg
    IMG_1246.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,110

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Thanks for the explanations blokes. Yes all engine oil is contaminated to an extent. After all apart from lubrication and cooling, cleaning (i.e trapping burned & unburned fuel contaminants)is one of the major functions of engine oil in a four stroke. I hadn't thought about this lowering the octane rating though. The reality is that the oil ring drags this same oil up and down the cylinder walls, and some of this gets burned too. I can see the theory behind the benefits of an oil can / filter on the SIDI's though. As a DFI engine, the inlet manifold on the SIDI is effectively only an oxygen inlet manifold. Therefore there is definitely more potential for oil vapour passing through the PCV system to liquify and accumulate in the inlet manifold and heads behind the intake valve.

Hexem
Good job on the oil collector can mounting.
I'd be interested to hear of any tangible performance or fuel economy benefits. Also how much oil is collected in say 1,000k's of city and highway driving, and if the addition of the collector can increases the amount of oil needed to be added between services. I doubt it but...

Cheers