Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sv6 or Calais?

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by K0tt0n, Aug 16, 2019 at 8:05 PM.

1. K0tt0n

K0tt0n New Member

Members Ride:
    ?
    Hi all. I'm in the market for a 2nd hand car with a Max budget of $25000. From looking around I've gotten down to a choice between a 2017 Sv6 or a 2014 Calais.
    I like the sporty look of the Sv6 but the Calais with all the bells and whistles is appealing. Granted it will be a few years older and have almost twice the kms on it (around 70000) from what I can see.
    My question is to those who have had these cars is, is it really worth the extra $$ for the Calais?
    The 2017 Sv6 has a lot of the features the previous years missed out on, but the ride won't be as good as the Calais. Also being the last year the commodore was made here may help it keep its value a little better??
    Anyway any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

2. snortings

snortings Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SV6
    It all comes down to personal preference, if you like the luxury features then go the Calais. I personally do not like the soft suspension in the Calais/Evoke, I prefer the FE2 suspension in the SV6. The soft suspension in the Evoke/Calais feels like I'm jumping up and down all the time, whereas the SV6 (FE2) will settle pretty quickly.

Me personally, I prefer the look of the SV6, especially the series 2 front fascia.

3. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    I would go for sv6

4. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
  5. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV30 Senator (w/end), '00 Magna, '17 Carnival
    As much as I'm a Calais fan, if it's three years older (and a S1 vs S2 for SV6), with more kilometres and costs more than the SV6...then i don't know that there's really anything to consider. SV6 all the way.

6. WW-VFSSVR

WW-VFSSVR New Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV Redline
  7. tommy_z

tommy_z Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Director
    You have to ask yourself whether you find the additional features of the MY14 Calais (baseline I assume and not the Calais V) are what you want compared to a MY17 Sv6?

The MY14 Calais will provide you with heated seats, leather seats, memory seats with easy exit, coloured (blue) driver display screen in the instrument cluster, foglamps, Bose speakers, and softer suspension.

The MY17 Sv6, being 3 years newer, should be with less kilometres and thus maintenance shouldn’t be an issue. Holden upgraded the last Sv6 to include a number of features that were previously only reserved for the higher end models like the Calais or SSV, like heads up display, push button start and Sat Nav. I wouldn’t be holding my breath for the car having a greater value being a last year model as it’s a V6 variant and is highly ubiquitous compared to say, the 3 limited editions.

I have a MY17 Calais V and the extra features it had made it more of my preference over the Sv6 however I do prefer the Sv6’s looks and FE2 suspension which is slightly firmer and more settled than the FE1 on my Calais.

8. Merv53

Merv53 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF series 2 SSV
    SV6 all the way

9. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    Was thinking about this while topic out Commodoreing around in awful Saturday Afternoon traffic, all arvo.

MY17 SV6 has the HUD, has cruise, has climate-control aircon, has the colour screen. Everything else is a trinket that’s cute but not worth trading reliability for ... so I reckon go for the better-treated better-condition lower-km car. In fact, I think I’d prefer a 50k km 2014 Calais with perfect servicing & which looks babied, than a 2017 SV6 that’s been treated as the family hack & has vomit through the carpet & dog-hair in everything. If the better-condition car is an older Calais, then get the Calais; but more likely it’s a 2017 SV6.

10. K0tt0n

K0tt0n New Member

Members Ride:
    ?
    Thanks for the replies so far guys. much appreciated.
    When looking at both, the Sv6 is a much nicer looking car from the outside but those leather seats and the interior of the Calais look awesome. And for some reason I just love the stearing wheel in the V with the flat bottom!
    The speaker system in the Calais is a selling point too.
    Colour choice is better with the Sv6 I love the dark grey and the blue is nice too.

11. vywgn

vywgn Member

Members Ride:
    1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
    Not hard to change the steering wheel to the flat bottom 1, I did it in mine to the paddle shift wheel

12. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    The cheap Bose system could be easily bettered in the aftermarket for very few monies, BTW.

13. tommy_z

tommy_z Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Director
    I would say if you find a very good condition MY17 Sv6, then why not get that first then go to the wreckers to get your flat bottom steering wheel, then a set of leather seats (or get them reupholstered)? Easy to changeover and the Bose speakers can easily be bettered with aftermarket (the factory Boss ones are not significantly better than the factory baseline speakers).

Looks like the heated and memory seats of the Calais is not a main concern for you so if you can do the mods that myself and others have suggested then you’ll have a car that’s perfect for your needs.

14. K0tt0n

K0tt0n New Member

Members Ride:
    ?
    Good points. I don't need heated seats (I'm in Brisbane) or memory seats, but I would like leather I never thought of changing the steering wheel so thanks for the idea.
    Sv6 is looking the better choice.

15. struggo

struggo Member

Members Ride:
    2016 VFII SSV Redline + 2013 FG MKII G6ET
    I'd personally go a Calais and look at fitting FE2/aftermarket springs to suit.

16. Whiteshark68

Whiteshark68 Member

Members Ride:
    VY Berlina Series II
    I have driven a near new my17 sv6, had it for 2 weeks while my berlina was at the smash repairer and i must say while it was a nice car to drive if i had to drive it for longer than half an hour it was painful it had the most uncomfortable seats i have ever sat in for a new car so for that reason alone i would say calais unless the seats in those aren't much better

17. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    I’m pretty sure they’re the same, except with different trim.

The SV6 gets a perforated manufactured-leather that’s less like leather than the Calais manufactured leather, doesn’t it?

18. K0tt0n

K0tt0n New Member

Members Ride:
    ?
    Anyone who's 6 foot or over like me finds most car seats uncomfortable after a while They're made for shorter people (the average) Calais seats have more adjustment settings I think?

19. Whiteshark68

Whiteshark68 Member

Members Ride:
    VY Berlina Series II
    I'm only 5'11" but i have a lower back stuffed disc and i can drive my berlina for hours but the sv6 i don't know what it was but it was uncomfortable made my back ache after short trips
    @Forg the sv6 i had was only a few months old and had the cloth trim it was a series II and only had 1700kms on the odometer i had it in sept 17

20. tommy_z

tommy_z Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Director
    The MY13, 14 and 15 seat foams are noticeably softer compared to the 16 and 17s from what people have written here and I have the same opinion regarding my previous MY15 Sv6 which was softer than the MY17 Calais V I now have.

The Calais seat does give you lumbar support but it’s not a huge amount of adjustability.