Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sv6 or Calais?

K0tt0n

Reaction score
Members Ride
?
Hi all. I'm in the market for a 2nd hand car with a Max budget of $25000. From looking around I've gotten down to a choice between a 2017 Sv6 or a 2014 Calais.
I like the sporty look of the Sv6 but the Calais with all the bells and whistles is appealing. Granted it will be a few years older and have almost twice the kms on it (around 70000) from what I can see.
My question is to those who have had these cars is, is it really worth the extra $$ for the Calais?
The 2017 Sv6 has a lot of the features the previous years missed out on, but the ride won't be as good as the Calais. Also being the last year the commodore was made here may help it keep its value a little better??
Anyway any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
It all comes down to personal preference, if you like the luxury features then go the Calais. I personally do not like the soft suspension in the Calais/Evoke, I prefer the FE2 suspension in the SV6. The soft suspension in the Evoke/Calais feels like I'm jumping up and down all the time, whereas the SV6 (FE2) will settle pretty quickly.

Me personally, I prefer the look of the SV6, especially the series 2 front fascia.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I would go for sv6

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
As much as I'm a Calais fan, if it's three years older (and a S1 vs S2 for SV6), with more kilometres and costs more than the SV6...then i don't know that there's really anything to consider. SV6 all the way.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
You have to ask yourself whether you find the additional features of the MY14 Calais (baseline I assume and not the Calais V) are what you want compared to a MY17 Sv6?

The MY14 Calais will provide you with heated seats, leather seats, memory seats with easy exit, coloured (blue) driver display screen in the instrument cluster, foglamps, Bose speakers, and softer suspension.

The MY17 Sv6, being 3 years newer, should be with less kilometres and thus maintenance shouldn’t be an issue. Holden upgraded the last Sv6 to include a number of features that were previously only reserved for the higher end models like the Calais or SSV, like heads up display, push button start and Sat Nav. I wouldn’t be holding my breath for the car having a greater value being a last year model as it’s a V6 variant and is highly ubiquitous compared to say, the 3 limited editions.

I have a MY17 Calais V and the extra features it had made it more of my preference over the Sv6 however I do prefer the Sv6’s looks and FE2 suspension which is slightly firmer and more settled than the FE1 on my Calais.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Was thinking about this while topic out Commodoreing around in awful Saturday Afternoon traffic, all arvo.

MY17 SV6 has the HUD, has cruise, has climate-control aircon, has the colour screen. Everything else is a trinket that’s cute but not worth trading reliability for ... so I reckon go for the better-treated better-condition lower-km car. In fact, I think I’d prefer a 50k km 2014 Calais with perfect servicing & which looks babied, than a 2017 SV6 that’s been treated as the family hack & has vomit through the carpet & dog-hair in everything. If the better-condition car is an older Calais, then get the Calais; but more likely it’s a 2017 SV6.

K0tt0n

Reaction score
Members Ride
?
Thanks for the replies so far guys. much appreciated.
When looking at both, the Sv6 is a much nicer looking car from the outside but those leather seats and the interior of the Calais look awesome. And for some reason I just love the stearing wheel in the V with the flat bottom!
The speaker system in the Calais is a selling point too.
Colour choice is better with the Sv6 I love the dark grey and the blue is nice too.