Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sv6 or ss commodore

holdenhsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve valais v 6.0 ltr
hi, just interested to buy a new car but dont know which one to get, is anyone here owns sv6 and is there any problems with engines and how good is the car...and how about ss commodores how they are

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
if you like to drive fast ..... and ready to pay a lot of cash for fule go with the SS

if you want the looks (with single exhaust tip on the back) .... and a good performance go with the SV6

just an opinion :)

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
what exactally is it that attracted you to the car? is it looks alone? If so stick with the sv6. Its got a little punch and averaged great economy when you dont drive it hard, and most of the bugs have been worked out of the tuning and engine.
The SS is an awesome package, and when driven respectably only uses about 3lt/100 more than the sv6 on long trips. The Auto trans that it mounted behind both the SV6 and SS is a 5sp Active select auto. If you are a real driver then go for the manual 6speed. The 5speed, has taller ratios which make it a little more sluggish off the line and the active select/tiptronic reaction is slow in both models and the torque convertor seems to lag when cold.
It all just depends on what you can afford, and what you can justify.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
They look the same.
They handle the same.
They smell the same.
They sit the same.

So it's up to you looks aside what makes your blood move:)..

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
Mate if it was up to me I would go the SS. I made the mistake of going a 6cyl when I had the money to get a SS or SSV. Wish I had gone the SS option at least.

As already said, the SV6 and SS are pretty much exactly the same just one has the 195kw V6 and the other has a 270kw V8.

I reckon it comes down to what your thoughts on fuel are. If your not worried about the price of fuel and fuel economy etc then definitely go the SS. Otherwise stick with the SV6. The SS's don't use a great deal more than the SV6's...Say if you use a tank a week in the SV6 you will need a tank and a bit for the SS. The SS will probably cost you 20-30 buks more a week, which isn't a great deal more.

My dads got a SSV he's average fuel consumption is around 14.5l/100kms. My Lumina sits around 12-13l/100kms. Not much difference in that. I do drive mine harder than my dad drives his though.

pac3y

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt S Pack Series 2
sorry to hijack the thread...but im looking at upgrading to a vz or ve sometime soon with the deals going on regarding the ve im leaning towards it....just wondering if anyone can enlighten me on the difference between the ve sv6 sedan and ute? being an apprentice im heading for the ute however i drive a vt sedan now soo either one isnt in issue for me.
suggestions?

Rishy

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Nissan GU Patrol
what exactally is it that attracted you to the car? is it looks alone? If so stick with the sv6. Its got a little punch and averaged great economy when you dont drive it hard, and most of the bugs have been worked out of the tuning and engine.
The SS is an awesome package, and when driven respectably only uses about 3lt/100 more than the sv6 on long trips. The Auto trans that it mounted behind both the SV6 and SS is a 5sp Active select auto. If you are a real driver then go for the manual 6speed. The 5speed, has taller ratios which make it a little more sluggish off the line and the active select/tiptronic reaction is slow in both models and the torque convertor seems to lag when cold.
It all just depends on what you can afford, and what you can justify.

The SS auto is a 6 speed.

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
go the ss, dont be weak, get the extra 2 cylinders.

holdenhsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve valais v 6.0 ltr
thanks for the replies boys,i am thinking of getting the ve sv6, but some people are saying that sv6 has problems with the engines is it true or not...

Paul_O

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SV6
I have the FEB 2008 SV6. No problems with the motor at all, not in my experience anyway. handles great. The only complaint I have is the crappy blue tooth. Taken it back to dealer, nothing they can do....Its just the sh!t technology that holden use. Like others have said if you want the power, go for the SS and look how cheap they are at the moment....In QLD anyway :)

EDITED: Plus heres a pretty fair review http://www.productreview.com.au/showitem.php?item_id=4320

Last edited: