Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 top speed

cliffo78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline, VL Exec, VY Berlina
Does anyone know what sort of speed a SV6 (auto or manual) is capable of reaching. I recall an early motoring magazine report indicating that they believed it would wind out to almost 240km/h. Is this accurate? The ECOTEC motor seems to struggle past 210km/h, so I was wondering whether the torque of the new motor is enough to do what the motoring writer predicted. Anyone have first-hand experience of an SV6 flat stick (of course this would have been tried in NT or on a racetrack! ;) )

S

stew7700

G'day mate, i read in one of the heap of reviews they have done that they have a sv6 (man) at 240 and it still had more left. Keeping in mind that the final drive is 2.87:1 that doesnt surprise me, i would expect maybe 270? Dont know though.. what is everyone elses thoughts..

U

UNR8D

271 was cracked with a 300kw GTS 2 years ago... i dont think an SV6 would get anywhere near that, 235ish is what i have heard confirmed they arnt that quick stock.

hell a XRT unlimited got 256kmh in a test back in 03" when they fooled the comp to delimit the speedlimiter so a SV6 has no hope in hell of beating that.

S

stew7700

Yep point taken i was wrong with my guess! But i see the SV8 will do 260 stock.. always good to see it have the edge over the xr6 :thumbsup:

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
i heard of a guy who bought a Ferrari, not sure if it was in Aus, but he ended up writing a nasty letter to the head of Ferrari complaining that his car fell something like 40kms below the top speed, there are probably lots of different factors in why it didnt make it, ie. different type of fuel, overseas cars always have just a lil bit more power than Aussie delivered. but how often are you going to be traveling at 300kmph??

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
i think your a bloody idiot if you take your car over 200 because of the dangers at that speed........but its nice to know what it CAN do

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
*been there done that .. have the **** stained undies to prove it*

dad and i took our SV6 out into Gippsland Victoria (we brought our own specially controlled and approved skidpan and race track and 10km of straight flat road with us)

and gave it to her ...

it died in the arse between 150-190 .. but as soon as it hit 190 it got a breath from somewhere .. then it was bouncing around 230-235

im acutally not that impressed with the car over all ... thought it would handle better through the strezleckies ..

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
ive lost my liscence and to get it back the first time i had to do the driver education, the speaker guy, asked out of curiosity just how many ppl have been in a car doing 200 or over, 25 out of 26 put up their hands, when asked how mant were the driver 19 out of 26 put up thier hand, it is stupid very stupid, ive done it myself a couple of times but not again

V

VZSV6

im sure any1 here with half a brain would not post, cause cops read these, so i wouldn't go bragging.

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
and they would give you a ticket based on how fast you said you were going at some stage?

I dont think cops can make arrests against e-claims. There are probably hundreds of people surfing the web with a 14 inch e-penis