Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 trouble after new spark plugs.

Do I need a new engine

• Total voters

gcchris

Chiller for realer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
Hi All,

Firstly, happy Bathurst. Now with that said, I'm a 2nd time newbie; I got allot of help here 8 years ago with an old VS I was having issues with so I decided to crawl back now I'm having issues with a VE.

I picked up an SV6 VE manual ute 3.6 high output, supposedly for a short term intermittent ride, mostly to haul my dirt bikes and cart bins to the tip (we have no rubbish collection).

Anyway trouble started on Friday in traffic when the car next to me pointed out I was leaking coolant, I checked my gauge which hadn't yet moved, which was good as I caught the drama early. I pulled over and discovered the top inlet had snapped off the radiator (had this also on my VS - bloody plastic radiators) with most of the hose inside the pipe, luckily there was enough of a lip left on the radiator to reattach the hose, using my trusted weatherman to reapply the clip. After that I limped to a servo and filled up the coolant.

So yesterday I went and picked up a new addrad radiator and put it in with no issues. But I decided to change the plugs and oils whilst messing around with the car. However this is where the story turns bad. I removed the manifold intake and popped out the plugs, replaced them and put everything back together as it came off, taking car to align manifold etc etc. I torqued everything down and went to give it a start, except it was super rough idling between 500 and 1000 rpm and stalling. I pulled it all back apart to make sure nothing was missed or connected incorrectly and put it all back together again, but same thing, now it even has an incurably loud knocking in the engine.

I have now exhausted (no pun intended) my mechanical know how and patience and I'm turning to you guys for some help. Below is a vid to show the noise, at first it just sounded rough, now its sounding like a raptly knock.

Let me know your thoughts, I'm thinking the worst. You here the noise at around 19 seconds into the vid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Vaccume leak? Just behind the throttle body driver side there is a vac hose 90degree rubber join to hard plastic line which leads to the evap valve . Sometime the rubber splits causing a vac leak. Also check your PVC is all connected. Did you plug in everything like maf and the plug at the rear of the manifold? The manifold gaskets were in good condition.

Alex05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Vaccume leak? Just behind the throttle body driver side there is a vac hose 90degree rubber join to hard plastic line which leads to the evap valve . Sometime the rubber splits causing a vac leak. Also check your PVC is all connected. Did you plug in everything like maf and the plug at the rear of the manifold? The manifold gaskets were in good condition.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
What gasket did you have on your inlet manifold when you pulled it apart?

Orange paper or metal reuasable style?

Coils all plugged back in, all vac hoses connected?

Nfsve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
check the codes, takes out all the guesswork

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Have you accidentally closed up the gap on one of the plugs. When you pulled it all apart to recheck did you remove the plugs to check them. Does the engine smooth out when you rev it. As others have said could be vacuum leak. Did you damage the gasket????

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Disconnect your battery for 10 minutes then reconnect it. Check engine should go away and should all back to normal. If it doesnt you have a problem. I would suspect leaky inlet manifold gasket. You have to be careful puttin it on as I had trouble with mine as I had all the lpg injection **** in the way and it was a tight squeze I ended up pushing the locating hole in the gasket away and effectively bending it when I tried to bolt the manifold down. Luckily I managed to see it before I got to far and corrected it. If you disconeect the battery and it still does not go away make sure you also plugged in the plug for the throttle body I missed doing this when putting it all back together and it will cause a check engine until battery is pulled.

Let us know how you go

gcchris

Chiller for realer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
I pulled the manifold off again to check, and the metal gaskets looked perfect. I pulled the plugs again also and the gap was the same as what had just come out. I'll replace the rubber o rings on the vac, but they don't look like they should be causing this much trouble. It was slightly smoother on rev but then it got the massive knock. Feels like the timing is off.

gcchris

Chiller for realer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
Yeah the manifold was a little tricky to line up (without the log in the way), but I got the pins and holes lined up and got the gasket seated and got it torqued down evenly, I really thought that might have been my problem untill I undid it put it back together. I will try that with the battery and pick up some new o ring gaskets. I got the electrics and other plug for the throttle body plugged in but it's sounding weird. The throttle body is sounds like its trying to prime, once the engine turns off.

I will disconnect the battery, then move on to new gaskets, but the last time I heard an engine lille this with the rattle inside it was dead.

gcchris

Chiller for realer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
Any tricks like bridging pins with a paper clip, like you could do with the VR's/S's/T's or need a scan tool?