Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 VE Brake Pads

SPack

Wish it would rain......
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 sportwagon (phantom)
shudder during hard braking, most likely causes:

1. ABS is doing it's job and pulsing the brake boost on and off to prevent lock-up (felt mostly through the pedal and no shudder will be present at lighter braking)

2. Rotor is warped (steering wheel is likely to oscillate left and right slightly in sync with the shudder in this case)

another possibility is stuffed bushes however this is sometimes a secondary problem caused over a long time by warped rotors

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
and i googled your TRW GP600 and it seems to be a 'racing dot 4' nothing about it being dot 5.1 anywhere?
That's correct. The GP600 is a Dot 4 RBF, with exactly the same specs as the Motul RBF600, both of which are good for 312 degrees.

5.1 is good for about 270 degrees, which is borderline 'performance' fluid. Dot 5.1 really is just an upgraded street fluid for heavy duty use, like towing caravans or car trailers. If you're serious about performance then get yourself a Dot 4 RBF, like the GP600 or RBF600. Avoid silicon race fluids like the Castrol SRF in a street car unless you're prepared to maintain them properly, but the Dot 4 RBF's are perfectly fine for street use.

3onTree

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline Sportswagon
HI Monaro327

I drive an SV6 Sportswagon. Great car but the brakes are pathetic by modern car standards. The SV6 Brakes are hopeless and have given me a few scares as the brakes just take too long to bite from speed - I think the brakes are too small for the weight of the car. I see that you upgraded to the 321 / 324 mm rotors. How does the car brake now? Are you happy with the result ? Appreciate your comments.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Since this thread has already been re opened, does anything else on a VE need changeing other than rotors and callipers to upgrade to V8 brakes ? like master cylinder or lines ..

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
you only need to change the rotors and the caliper mounting bracket

Sweet !! sounds like a cheap upgrade. Any idea what size wheels you need to fit these larger rotors ? will 17 inch be enough ?

Harvy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYIIi Executive V6 Auto Sedan
I reckon the value for money way is to get slotted rotors and performance pads. If the difference appears insignificant try upgraded brake hoses and silicon brake fliud. Finding the right pads may be by trial and error.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I reckon the value for money way is to get slotted rotors and performance pads. If the difference appears insignificant try upgraded brake hoses and silicon brake fliud. Finding the right pads may be by trial and error.
Ooh hello.