Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 VF Commdore - Wagon or Sedan?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Thanks all for the replies. I think I might go with a Wagon, For the same price they seem to be the obvious choice. Whats Fuel Like? And what fuel type do you run?

I run only PULP98 everywhere from around home to major multi-day interstate sorties. I get from 4.2L/100km to 6.6L/100km, variable over 25km benchmark, continuously. Others may be much higher than this but it does reflect driving. A lot of my driving is at 100 to 110km/h over long distances, and the SIDI doesn't gulp and slurp on these runs - - more like taking a sniff and happily
20191127_122446.jpg
rolling along. Her she is...

jacobau

Reaction score
Members Ride
None
I run only PULP98 everywhere from around home to major multi-day interstate sorties. I get from 4.2L/100km to 6.6L/100km, variable over 25km benchmark, continuously. Others may be much higher than this but it does reflect driving. A lot of my driving is at 100 to 110km/h over long distances, and the SIDI doesn't gulp and slurp on these runs - - more like taking a sniff and happilyView attachment 209875 rolling along. Her she is...
Looks like a great car! That fuel consumption isn't very bad at all for a commodore then! Have you tried 91 or 95? Also does your model feature the remote start (From they keyfob) - is it useful?). Thanks

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Thanks all for the replies. I think I might go with a Wagon, For the same price they seem to be the obvious choice. Whats Fuel Like? And what fuel type do you run?

Below all opinion!

Wagon pros
- dog/ikea fits in
- can hear exhaust more?
- rear wash/wipe
- wagon cool factor

Sedan pros
- cheaper (generally?)
- better aero
- better structural rigidity & lower CoG
- looks better

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks like a great car! That fuel consumption isn't very bad at all for a commodore then! Have you tried 91 or 95? Also does your model feature the remote start (From they keyfob) - is it useful?). Thanks

I sometimes used 95 in my old wagon (2006 VZ), which being an Alloytec, made as much of the situation as it could, while the SIDI is next level. Only 98 in this car. I may (perish the thought! ) have to put in the gutless OPAL fuel if I head to the NT this winter. Not keen on that stuff at all.

Yes, remote start on keyfob. Doors must be locked for this to work (security). Useful when the car garaged and getting ready (before I am!) , not in a shopping centre carpark where you could be subject to car-jacking!

jacobau

Reaction score
Members Ride
None
Below all opinion!

Wagon pros
- dog/ikea fits in
- can hear exhaust more?
- rear wash/wipe
- wagon cool factor

Sedan pros
- cheaper (generally?)
- better aero
- looks better

I think that both look just as good, but I really like the features/advancements on the new wagons for easier driving (For example Auto Parking, Lane keep assist, remote start etc). The sedan is also about 2-3k cheaper as well which is a little unfortunate but the wagons as an all rounder are pretty good. Considering they can do so much.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Below all opinion!

Wagon pros
- dog/ikea fits in
- can hear exhaust more?
- rear wash/wipe
- wagon cool factor

Sedan pros
- cheaper (generally?)
- better aero
- looks better

And the cons??
Huge blind spots on front pillars. Side blind spots covered by alert in mirrors so not bad there but still need to be watchful.
Narrow tailgate window takes some getting used to, especially if driver seat is set low.
Sometimes referred to as being "chunky", but more than makes up for this in finesse - - at least for this driver! :) Some smart arses even remark "that beast must guzzle fuel!..."
(sigh) I hate to bring tears to a grown man's eyes...

Last edited:

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
And the cons??
Huge blind spots on front pillars. Side blind spots covered by alert in mirrors so not bad there but still need to be watchful.
Narrow tailgate window takes some getting used to, especially if driver seat is set low.
Sometimes referred to as being "chunky", but more than makes up for this in finesse - - at least for this driver! :)

I figure the cons of one are the pros of the other!

"Huge blind spots on front pillars." the same on both?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I figure the cons of one are the pros of the other!

"Huge blind spots on front pillars." the same on both?

This was a thing with the VE back in 2009, too - - my bestie was very critical of the pillars, among other things. Alas, poor VE: he wrecked the car driving on Mount Speculation Road rescuing me after I wandered off and got lost (Easter 2009) in the rough ramparts around Mount Stirling here in Victoria. :confused:

jacobau

Reaction score
Members Ride
None
Thanks for your help. The wagon sounds pretty good and would be pretty good as an all rounder. Whats the features like on the Wagon? As in how often do you use them ? (Auto park, auto start etc). Also have you kept the stock Headunit or replaced it? (If so with what?) Cheers

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for your help. The wagon sounds pretty good and would be pretty good as an all rounder. Whats the features like on the Wagon? As in how often do you use them ? (Auto park, auto start etc). Also have you kept the stock Headunit or replaced it? (If so with what?) Cheers

Good feature list for me, others may quibble, but overall I am not found wanting particularly. Self-demisting mirrors would be useful I think in winter. These are very useful on the Uni-supplied VW Tourareg that I also drive frequently.

I used Park Assist on Wednesday, but had to abort it abrubtly when a stupid driver pulled up directly behind me while I was reversing! The VF does not apply the brakes during Park assist - - you do that, with gentle taps or pressure during the movements, then gear changes. It has to be done slowly, as the sensors around the car are flat out keeping track of where the car is going and "watching" front and rear spaces (camera in the rear has proximity lines in yellow, turning to red when a bump is imminent!!). Generally, I can reverse parallel park a bit quicker than the car, but then I have been doing that in many cars, for many years. As a new driver, here is some advice: do not put all of your faith in automation and convenience.

Other stuff...
Auto-start is used often when I am driving the VF for the day, first thing in the morning, but not much durimg the day. It's a great bragging rights point among the "less convenienced" crew I hang out with (artists, photographers, writers etc.). Many other cars have this common feature too, like the Tourareg V8 behemoth. Lots and lots of cars.

No head unit changes. That's not my scene.

And now I'm heading out for dinner. On foot!

'Night. :)