Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SVZ overheat and powertrain warning

Paul Harris

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Can someone please tell me help me with this.. I have recently bought a svz and today my temperature gauge went Sky High and I got the warning on the dash saying engine hot then straight away the temperature gauge went back down to normal and everything was fine until about half an hour ago engine hot again this time it's stayed hot and then the check powertrain warning came on... the car started to run like a snail so I pulled over and stoped it... thermo fans have been going for 20 minutes since i turned it off... there is plenty of water in the radiator and in the coolant bottle... would it be a blocked thermostat causing this or something else? thanks guys and I appreciate any help I can get with this

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Lets start with was there anything done to the engine prior to it over heating and going into "limp home mode"?

Paul Harris

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
No nothing was done to the engine beforehand but since then I have close the heater tap and filled it out with new coolant and bled the and I haven't had an issue everything's back to normal it actually runs better than it did

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
So problem was you didn't bleed the cooling system, ok nice. Glad it's fixed, nice job.

Last edited: