Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Swap for series 2 motor

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
when doing the engine you take the loom and the xcu/chip from the old car. as for series 1 and 2 i know the cranks on the s1 have a 6 bolt flywheel and the the S2 an 8 bolt flywheel. i dont know if this would apply to the manual. but, you need whole S2 cooling system as the radiators and pipes are differentoh and a bucnh of other stuff, big job for not a massive benifit. your better off dropping in an 8 or doing up your s1

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
CSL said:
when doing the engine you take the loom and the xcu/chip from the old car. as for series 1 and 2 i know the cranks on the s1 have a 6 bolt flywheel and the the S2 an 8 bolt flywheel. i dont know if this would apply to the manual. but, you need whole S2 cooling system as the radiators and pipes are differentoh and a bucnh of other stuff, big job for not a massive benifit. your better off dropping in an 8 or doing up your s1

There really isnt that much man. Really I think most people would have a series 2 radiator in their S1 anyway... Most people have replaced the radiator by now and I cant imagine why anyone wouldnt have put a S2 in anyway..The advantages to having a radiator cap are well worth it. And if you go to a wreckers you will pick up the extra piping to the overflow bottle etc. pretty damn cheap

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
CSL said:

As for an 8 theyre eat too much petrol, im on my P's and i cant anyway. What my plan is when the motor starts giving me trouble or old age signs. I will get the series 2 motor (simply because they slightly more refined) from a wrecker if my T5 will bolt up to it, And it will get a full reco.

Then me and me old man can just spare a weekend to drop it in which will save alot of time. I think the s1 it has still has alot in it, but its just a long term plan

1991_Vn2nV said:
There really isnt that much man. Really I think most people would have a series 2 radiator in their S1 anyway... Most people have replaced the radiator by now and I cant imagine why anyone wouldnt have put a S2 in anyway..The advantages to having a radiator cap are well worth it. And if you go to a wreckers you will pick up the extra piping to the overflow bottle etc. pretty damn cheap

I still got the s1 radiator :w00t: They're so dodgy without a radiator cap, and 2 overflow bottles, like WTF why they need 2??

lazza44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2 Berlina Wagon
CSL was talking about the difference between 6 & 8 bolt flywheel and not V6 & V8.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
lazza44 said:
CSL was talking about the difference between 6 & 8 bolt flywheel and not V6 & V8.

Im pretty sure he was talking about a V8... You cant just swap the 6 bolt flywheel for the 8 bolt flywheel...
At the beginning CSL was referring to the flywheels yes, but in the last sentence he was talking about dropping in a V8...

lazza44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2 Berlina Wagon
yeh ya right i didnt read the end bit.

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
defa said:
there is two wires ya have to change. one has to be lengthened and one shortened.

are you shure? is this only on vp?
which wires are these?
cause i replaced my series 1 for a series 2 and all the looms where the same,
it all plugged strait in no probs. including the change to a manual.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
one was the temp sensor and i cna't remember what the other one was.. i could go have a look if ya wanted. i tried to use to series 1 loom but it was different.. by the way. i went from series two - series 1.

T

tlndofa

hi ,i do have one of each vn 88s1 91s2 i find the s2 perfect with a 308 diff .compaired to my slack s1 ,runs well an cruises but not half the gutts or the peddal my s2 does the clock easy..since my bull bar dinted my front right side i have been looking here to make sure i can swap everything or i do a repair....s1 has a sick looking vacum air intake .but at the same time looks too much.i dont like having no cap on my radiator so i will cancel bottel flow..i rather s2 and besides all the work i found out here the sensor in tank is something i would have mist for the dash..i am hoping when i plug in loom an Pc that it will fire

Last edited by a moderator: