Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Swap for series 2 motor

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Hi, Just had me thinking, I have a series 1.5 (basically series 1) v6 in my vn wagon, would a series 2 motor from a vp or something (Are vn s2 and vp the same?) just drop in but retaining the T5 i have in it.

So basically will the new motor bolt up to my gearbox and are the ECU and looms the same?

cheers

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
yeah shouldnt be a problem. i have a VP motor in mine, but that was installed before i bought it

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
stocky said:
yeah shouldnt be a problem. i have a VP motor in mine, but that was installed before i bought it
Do you mean because it has a VP Update engine? Because thats just what they call the engine in the VN S2 as its the same engine as the VP.... I see it in car sales posts all the time.

vnv6pwr said:
Hi, Just had me thinking, I have a series 1.5 (basically series 1) v6 in my vn wagon, would a series 2 motor from a vp or something (Are vn s2 and vp the same?) just drop in but retaining the T5 i have in it.

So basically will the new motor bolt up to my gearbox and are the ECU and looms the same?

cheers
Models made from November 1990 had the same crank for both manual and auto, and there were some changes to the manual transmission for these models because of this. The manual transmissions for these models had a re-designed sprigot bearing which cant be installed on the older manual transmissions... But im not sure if that makes any difference to hooking your trans up to the VN S2 engine. If anything all you need is the revised clutch unit from the S2/VP manual transmissions and to fit this you will need to shorten the front bearing retainer by 9mm. Other than that, its all the same.

The loom is different between VN S1 and VN S2/VP. But the difference is minor.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
there is two wires ya have to change. one has to be lengthened and one shortened.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
1991_Vn2nV said:
Do you mean because it has a VP Update engine? Because thats just what they call the engine in the VN S2 as its the same engine as the VP.... I see it in car sales posts all the time.

an engine taken out of a VP, reconditioned, and put into my car

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Thanks for the reply's, Im planning on keeping this car for a while and if and when the motor dies in it will be gettin a reco sereis 2 with all the goodies put in replacement.

On another note, the VR is still the buick but is everything still exactly same from the VP?

38VNIT

Azerium
Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing
y dont u put a vr motor in it, there aparently pretty easy to change, its just when u get into the ecotecs it get hard, but correct me if im wrong, this is just from what iv read.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
stocky said:
VR runs a different computer and loom i think

Yep, the VR is more difficult than the VP for no real gain. Different loom and little changes in the engine too. Plus the VP engine is known as being more reliable than the VR version...