Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Swap VS Statesman

MA7789

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2
Hey guys just after some thoughts and opinions from someone else, i have been offered a swap for a VS Statesman 5L for my Vy sII exec ss mock up, its through a close friend so reliability wont be an issue, the guys gettin a bit on in life and he is original owner from new and just wants a 6 banger to putt around in, statesman is immaculate and is dual fuel and hes letting me keep my 20s and extensive sound system, any opinions welcome, thnks matt

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
To be honest, I'm not sure I would go for it. I own a VR Statey, 5 litre. I love it to death, but it is starting to age. I have rarely flogged it, tried to look after it as much as I can, but it's 17 years old now, so wear and tear is taking it's toll.
Your friend may have taken care of it as much as they thought possible, but there are certain things that may have slipped by. things like by now on a VS, the whole exhaust may need replacing, brake rotors, suspension, engine, gearbox & coolant leaks. I know with mine, I would probably have to spend a good couple of grand to get just those problems sorted (engine and gearbox would have to come out)
Not to mention, the VY has heaps of power, and is cheaper to run. I drove my sister's VY V6 once, and it had more power than my VR V8.
My VR is also on gas, it drives reasonably well, but if you need to put your foot down, it lacks the response it would have on petty. Don't get me wrong, it is cheaper on gas, but I also had a friend who went from a VS LPG to a VY petty, and he hardly noticed the difference in running costs, because the technology suddenly took a leap.

Up to you, but me personally, would say no....

MA7789

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2
yeh i guess i didnt consider that, thanks for that yuve been a great help i spose ill wait and jus buy a newer v8 eventually