Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Swapped instrument cluster gauge faces

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Odometer .... less than 10,000 miles / 16,000km ? Still a new car.
Asking price of Monaros with that odo reading is AUD $80,000 > $120,000. Dreamers, or maybe not .......... dunno..
What is US price range. ?

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7 LS1 6 speed
Odometer .... less than 10,000 miles / 16,000km ? Still a new car.
Asking price of Monaros with that odo reading is AUD $80,000 > $120,000. Dreamers, or maybe not .......... dunno..
What is US price range. ?
80k AUD is $59,6xx USD, as of two minutes ago... the highest price I have seen for one within the last year or so was $36,000 for a 300 mile mint 2006 car. I do know that dealerships, when the cars were selling as new,, were marking them up $5000 or more and there were people paying it.

Higher mileage cars in decent shape start around 7,000 USD or so and lower mileage mint cars go high teens and low 20s. There are some higher priced ones out there. 2004s like mine get "crapped on" because of 50 less horse power, smaller brakes, and both exhaust pipes routed to one side. They made improvements to the car each year but most people here in the US look for 2005 or 2006 cars first

$80k to $120k AUD for one sounds insane compared to the US market. I will say this though... the Pontiac G8, the Chevy Caprice police cars, and the Chevy SS have all held their values well, but not that well. It is still my opinion that GM North America tapping the Holden Australia market was one of the smartest things they did. The GTO was my first and probably only brand new car I will have ever bought.

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Big price difference USA > Aus. :eek:
Possibly because Holden exported over 30,000 to the US, where it was not a popular vehicle, as to 13,000 sold in Aus, where it is a reborn icon.

The prices here are getting to be a worry.
1960s > 70s Monaros are gold plated, like all Aus Ford Falcon and Chrysler Charger muscle cars. Some are bringing over $1M AUD at auctions. Crazy.
I could sell mine (maybe) for $45K on a good sunny day, with no COVID travel restrictions. But, selling is not on the my horizon.
And I am getting reluctant to drive it (paranoid ?) because I know that a minor bingle could result in a write-off due to scarcity of parts.

@FuManchu (?) put up a video about a wrecker in the desert somewhere in the USA, who has dozens of Monaro GTOs just sitting around, and a shedfull of parts that could be very useful here..

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Big price difference USA > Aus. :eek:
Possibly because Holden exported over 30,000 to the US, where it was not a popular vehicle, as to 13,000 sold in Aus, where it is a reborn icon.

The prices here are getting to be a worry.
1960s > 70s Monaros are gold plated, like all Aus Ford Falcon and Chrysler Charger muscle cars. Some are bringing over $1M AUD at auctions. Crazy.
I could sell mine (maybe) for $45K on a good sunny day, with no COVID travel restrictions. But, selling is not on the my horizon.
And I am getting reluctant to drive it (paranoid ?) because I know that a minor bingle could result in a write-off due to scarcity of parts.

@FuManchu (?) put up a video about a wrecker in the desert somewhere in the USA, who has dozens of Monaro GTOs just sitting around, and a shedfull of parts that could be very useful here..
I know of the wrecker you speak of. I do not know how he got is hands on so many cars to part out, but at the time of the video he had parts galore. I think he is the state of Arizona, or close by.

The used car market is a sh*t show here in the US right now. Definitely a sellers market due to very low new vehicle supply. There are 2020 used models selling for more than new right now. The performance, collector market is buzzing because people have pent up money and electric vehicles are getting ready to take over the US, by 2030 or so.

My GTO was never meant to be a daily driver but rather a garage queen, weekend cruiser, car show toy. I have no regrets over that. I appreciate the car more and more, even 16, 17 years into ownership. I am concerned about parts availability going forward, so I may have to invest into a small stock of stuff before too long. That, or buy a complete parts car. You can sneeze on one over here and the insurance company will write it off (total it out). I have collector car insurance on mine with an agreed value of $34,000 USD. I get 1000 miles a year to drive it. The peace of mind is worth it to me.