Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Swapping out wind down windows for power windows in VS S pack

Nathaniel_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Commodore S
So I've gotten hold of a set of power windows for a VR commodore and I'm looking at swapping out my wind up windows for them in my VS S pack, I've just got a couple of questions to clear up before I waste any time on it.

1. Are VR and VS power windows cross compatible?

2. Would the S Pack be pre wired with harnesses if power windows was an option?

3. Would there be pre wiring and harnesses for the central control switches?

If anyone who has already attempted this (and hopefully succeeded) could give me some advice, that would be awesome :)

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
There is a good how-to on this site. Actually it is essential if you want to make the job easier.

I'm in the process of doing my VS. Just got to find the time. Though I only want to do front windows. VN onwards are compatible with VS. To check for the harnesses remove the centre console tray (below radio). There should be 2 harnesses tucked away in there for the switches in the centre console. Also you can remove the bottom of the inside door trim, feel around the bottom and you should find wiring that plugs into the motor.

I've tested the motors which work just have to install them. Have you good new door trims? I just got from one of the auto shops these plugs that you can put in to cover the hole. As I had vinyl dye for redoing a console I painted them. It doesn't look out of place.

The only issue I had was the lights on the buttons in the centre console were draining my battery even when the car was off. So I had to unplug the lights.

I cannot stress enough to read the How-to.

Nathaniel_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Commodore S
Cheers mate, any chance you could post a link to the how to? My mates got a VR for wrecking

Nathaniel_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Commodore S
Accidently clicked reply, so my mates got a VR for wrecking and all the door trims are a match to mine, all I gotta do is take the fabric door trims and swap them over, just needed to know if it would be worth pulling my doors apart aha