Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Swapping Steering Wheels

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Does anyone know when removing a VF steering wheel and putting a new one on, if you can fit it incorrectly or it only goes on one way? I noticed there are 3 distinct keys which I think stop you putting your steering wheel on incorrectly on the shaft and you line them up with the ones on the steering wheel to get it to the right spot.

I have swapped mine and now when driving straight the steering wheel is on a slight lean to the right. I dont know if I need a wheel alignment as when undoing th ebolt that was holding the steering wheel on required some force and i turned the steering wheel abit until it locked and the bolt came undone so not sure if I have done something or I need to relearn/program the steering, but was told the electric steering adapts itself to the road. But the car goes straight only thing the steering wheel is off to the right and if I correct it the car goes left.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Does anyone know when removing a VF steering wheel and putting a new one on, if you can fit it incorrectly or it only goes on one way? I noticed there are 3 distinct keys which I think stop you putting your steering wheel on incorrectly on the shaft and you line them up with the ones on the steering wheel to get it to the right spot.

I have swapped mine and now when driving straight the steering wheel is on a slight lean to the right. I dont know if I need a wheel alignment as when undoing th ebolt that was holding the steering wheel on required some force and i turned the steering wheel abit until it locked and the bolt came undone so not sure if I have done something or I need to relearn/program the steering, but was told the electric steering adapts itself to the road. But the car goes straight only thing the steering wheel is off to the right and if I correct it the car goes left.

The VE had a key way for the steering wheel which If I remember was at the bottom of the shaft when the wheel was straight. There is still a shaft that runs into the steering box so it should still be in the same spot as your original wheel. The wheel you changed has the same profile just different covering so should be the same key way.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
By memory when I changed the wheel on an 2013 VF I found there was a little movement on the spline but other than that, a wheel alignment place can dial it out.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok cool, thanks guys. I am going to take airbag pad out again and just double check it and if its all good i'll have to take to wheel alignment place, but will try and see if i can place wheel in a different position and if it doesnt go, then I know I have the right spot and something else maybe out.

When I spoke to Service Dept they said no need to re-learn anything on the steering, just a wheel alignment to put the steering wheel straight with the front wheels.

13VF17 WAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 WAGON

Gday
I would like to upgrade mine on VF11 SV6 to SSV flat bottom. The local Holden dealership is reluctant/ uncomfortable to swap due to a difference in bolt? Is there any problem with upgrade due to any difference in specs, column bolts etc or impact on warranty ? Any advice very welcomed. Cheers

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gday
I would like to upgrade mine on VF11 SV6 to SSV flat bottom. The local Holden dealership is reluctant/ uncomfortable to swap due to a difference in bolt? Is there any problem with upgrade due to any difference in specs, column bolts etc or impact on warranty ? Any advice very welcomed. Cheers

No the centre bolt that holds the wheel is the same, sounds like they cant be assed, which would mean dont give them the job, if you are not comfortable doing it yourself, go to another dealership who wants to actually do the job.

13VF17 WAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 WAGON
No the centre bolt that holds the wheel is the same, sounds like they cant be assed, which would mean dont give them the job, if you are not comfortable doing it yourself, go to another dealership who wants to actually do the job.
ok thanks..appreciate the reply. Did sound like that...I will enquire at another dealership. Was yours bought from Holdens or other supplier ?Cheers

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS

Thread dig...

Did you ever sort this out...?

I am thinking of steering wheel swap as well on my SS

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
the steering wheel only has a master key way so can only go on one way a very easy job to do with very little chance of stuffing it up.

Just bought one and a new bolt.

Can someone confirm if the bolt torque is 30nM ?

I hope I don't stuff something up ;)