Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Swapping VE lfx engine to VF lfx engine

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I recommend using the old sensors because the existing sensors from your old motor are matched to your ECU,
However, I would save all the sensors from the replacement motor, (saves buying them)
Because if you have MIL activated,
You have them on hand to replace straight away to keep the car on the road.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Why replace all sensors? Even if they look the same? I’ve had my cam shaft sensors on a table for 3-5 months and are slightly rustic(had to stop for bathroom renovation) how do I fix these or can I use the ones from replacement engine?
You just should. The last thing you need is for random warning lights to come on because you don’t know the history of the new engine. Your current sensors, you’ll know what they’ve been doing. Use them to gain some certainty around what the new engine is doing. If there is a fault, it will be less gremlins to chase.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Why replace all sensors? Even if they look the same? I’ve had my cam shaft sensors on a table for 3-5 months and are slightly rustic(had to stop for bathroom renovation) how do I fix these or can I use the ones from replacement engine?
Some throttle body cleaner on them and wipe with paper towel.

The cam solenoids can also be cleaned out that way, then give them a soak in fresh engine oil and install.

Lucky3.6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
You just should. The last thing you need is for random warning lights to come on because you don’t know the history of the new engine. Your current sensors, you’ll know what they’ve been doing. Use them to gain some certainty around what the new engine is doing. If there is a fault, it will be less gremlins to chase.
I replaced all sensors, got replacement in filled fluids but need to charge the battery, while I was waiting I noticed that the gearbox breather hose is leaking oil, why would that be?