Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Swapping VS SENATOR for VY SUPERCHARGED

jackcurrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged Series II VY.
Hey guys, not my usual type of post, but gonna run it past some of you - just out of curiosity.

I've been looking online for cars to swap for my VY (as I always do). I have come across a genuine VS Senator. Its basically stock, straight, 5L, auto, a few rough spots. A bit of work done, but has 320xxxkm (apparently reco'd at some point, but no receipts so thats a pointless bit of advice).

I have a VY s/c S. 240xxxkm, leather, sunroof, and basically stock with a few rough spots.

FYI - I LOVE VS commodores - a favourite shape of mine, just above the VY. But I just wanted some input from you guys, flaws/positives/ etc.

/ I've posted this twice, in VY/VS forums, so I can have some different views.

I'm looking at it as an investment too, as both kms are high, atleast a new engine in a senator is worthwhile - as the value of these cars should always be fairly good, not so much with the l67 though. Thoughts?

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
well how much does he want for the senator? or does it just say swaps? you could always sell the vy and buy the vs and still have abit of money left over for mods/engine work (well maybe, depending how much he wants for it and what you can get for the vy)

jackcurrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Because both the cars are relatively stock, they're worth around the same at the moment. Both cars have the element of potential, and I would love a senator to really perfect and have in 10/20/30 years. But I also dont know about the kms, and how the senators will hold value in years to come. I'll post pics of each.

jackcurrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
994621_187836111399713_1258543701_n.jpg1381546_186631104853547_630285627_n.jpg

As you can see, both sit in a pretty stock standard position. The VY has a few flaws with paint, and the rear bumpers garnish (that black centre piece) is missing. The VS apparently has a few little spots of paint also, so both are pretty much exact on how they look.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Senator with the 185 isn't exactly a collectible. Fun and V8 but still.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Senator is a much nicer car in my opinion.

Basically your going from almost top of the line down to a pov pack model with a supercharger (assuming your going the S they are very basic)

jackcurrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
No no no no, I own the VY, I WANT the senator.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you plan to mod it? If so the VY will be more cost effective probable.

jackcurrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have a habit of swapping cars pretty often. Over the last year I've been on this site regarding about 4 separate commodores.

If I do take the senator, I'd want to keep it and put some work into it. More inclined to work a v8 than a s/c.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
At the end of the day your swapping a newer car for a much older car which has it's inherent risks. Then on top of that your getting the lesser of the senators. Up to you I suppose. V8 over 6 and all that.