Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sway bar link kit

tug33r

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn s2
i fitted a heavy duty sway bar link kit in my vn cos it had a knock. i was told to replace the sway bar link kit it is a commin problem but the knock is still there. i did what the instructions said just tightened till the bush is just out of shape but now im told to tightened it up till it cant do up any more has any one else had this problem?

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
do not tighten them up till you can tighten they will be stuffed in a week. just do it till they start to squish a little.
if that didnt fix the knock it could be one of the following:
lower ball joints
strut top bearing plates
a loose shocker insert (if youve had them replaced)
loose wheel bearings
lower inner bushes could be floged out
just some stuff to ponder

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
I reccomend you bounce each corner of the car by hand to see if you can at least isolate which side the knock is on. One further thing to check in addition to the stuff that xcop5l mentioned is the sway bar mounting bushes, one of those may be worn.

tug33r

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn s2
ok thanks i have changed all the front bushes, wheel bearings are ok, shock's and strut tops all new done balljoints 4 months ago. thats what i cant work out where the noise is comin from.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
a new shocker can come loose in the strut
if you have a look threw the springs where the chrome bit of the shocker is, at the bottom there is a huge nut thats about 3mm thich,just see how har its undone and if you can get a shifter on it and see if its tight